Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Johnmatta
Advocate I
Advocate I

Invalid connection credentials while adding data sources

Hi All,

I've installed and configured on-premise data gateway but when I try to adding data source (in this case an Excel file saved on my desktop) I get the below error details:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Johnmatta,

Do you install gateway in the same machine with your Excel file? Please make sure you enter correct user name and password when adding Excel data source, you can follow the guide in the similar thread below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Scheduled-refresh-for-excel-file-with-o...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Johnmatta,

Do you install gateway in the same machine with your Excel file? Please make sure you enter correct user name and password when adding Excel data source, you can follow the guide in the similar thread below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Scheduled-refresh-for-excel-file-with-o...

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia for your response.
Yes, I did install the gateway on the same machine that the Excel file is located.

I feel that the issue is in the username as the post you've attached refers to putting domain\username and my laptop is not on any domain.

Hi Lydia,

I've found my domain\user and the datat source added successfully but when I tried to refresh the data I got the floowing message:

Untitled.png

@Johnmatta,

Please post the data source setting(File->Options and settings->data source setting ) in Power BI Desktop and share a screenshot about the data source you added within your gateway. Please do mask sensitive data before you upload screenshots.

Regards,
Lydia

Sorry Lydia, I figured it out now. The windows username was AzureAD\my user name and I had to choose the gateway under dataset settings...thanks so muck for your help.

Hi @Johnmatta ,

I am encountering the same exact issue at the moment, could you please guide me to how you found out the username and what steps you took to make it work?

Big thanks,

Vlad

Hi @vladmoza ,

Please find the below steps:

1.  in Windows 10 go to >> Windows Settings >> Accounts
  2.  on the left hand side click >> Other people
  3. under "Adda work or school user" >> you'll see your username which starts with "AzureAD\yourname" and this is the username you need to use

hope that helps.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. @Johnmatta @v-yuezhe-msft . I am facing some problems. When I try to connect i get same credenctial problems:

DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode

We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster

Cluster URI:       https:wabi-north-central-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.com

Could anyone help?Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors