Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Integer Extraction function returning Expression.Error Message

Through some research, I found this formula to extract numbers only to use in my queries. Since it is used often, I want to write a function from it. However, I can't seem to make it work properly. I'll paste an example of how I use it regularly, and the function I wrote from it which is giving me an error.

This is a snippet that works just fine:

image.png

Below is a snippet of the function which is giving me errors:

The error message reads as: Expression.Error: The name '_' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly.

In addition, I would like to know what causes Expression.Error messages. In this case, I understand that the underscore isn't defined. However, why does it seem to work fine within the image above?

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Please check the following code.

let intextaction=(AlphaNumeric as  text)=>

let
    Source = Text.Combine(List.RemoveNulls(List.Transform(Text.ToList(""&AlphaNumeric&""),each if Value.Is(Value.FromText(_), type number) then _ else null)))
in
    Source

in
   intextaction

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Please check the following code.

let intextaction=(AlphaNumeric as  text)=>

let
    Source = Text.Combine(List.RemoveNulls(List.Transform(Text.ToList(""&AlphaNumeric&""),each if Value.Is(Value.FromText(_), type number) then _ else null)))
in
    Source

in
   intextaction

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lydia,

Thank you, this solved the problem. After looking closely, the List.Transform method requires an "each" statement (not sure if that's how you say it "each statement"?).

The AlphaNumeric variable can go in there without having any quotes or ampersands.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors