Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GerryFlanagan
Employee
Employee

Installing Personal Gateway on a SQL Server

Hi,

I've been using Power BI desktop for a while and the all the reports I've published refresh fine through the personal gateway on my local drive. The problem is I dont want my local drive to always have to be on in order for the published reports to refresh. The solution I'm looking to implement is installing the personal gateway on one of the companies servers and running it through there. My question is; has anyone tried this or any other solution to this problem?  Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You can install the Personal Gateway on any domain connected PC so that should not be a problem at all. Note that you could install the Personal Gateway on any VM or PC you wanted, you do not have to install it on the SQL Server itself just because that is where the data lives. As long as your VM or PC can communicate with the SQL Server properly, it can retrieve the data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I was able to install the Personal gateway on a 2012 windows server R2 and successfully refresh my on-prem data source. This will allow a scheduled data refresh without having to worry about my PC falling asleep.

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You can install the Personal Gateway on any domain connected PC so that should not be a problem at all. Note that you could install the Personal Gateway on any VM or PC you wanted, you do not have to install it on the SQL Server itself just because that is where the data lives. As long as your VM or PC can communicate with the SQL Server properly, it can retrieve the data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler ,

Why can't we use Enterprise Gateway created on the VM/PC where Power BI is installed.

What is the advantage of using Personal Gateway over Enterprise and which credentials are stored on the Personal Gateway.

If personal gateway is connected with user credentials to particular sql server, the user might go out of company and underlying reports/dashboards will fail.

correct me if I am wrong.

Hi @Greg_Deckler

I have created a report and installed personal gateway on my system. I am extracting data from SQL Server, its working fine when I refresh in Power BI Desktop version but not on Power BI Online. I am getting error in my data credentials, which is the same credentials I use on SQL Server. Do I need to update it anywhere else as well. Can you elaborate what changes should I make.
"Your data source cannot be refreshed because the credentials are invalid"
PFA screenshot of my error.

Activity ID:3a84f4f9-6adc-64f0-8fff-8891d069f84e
Request ID:bb69b3e7-44fa-8609-3bd5-62462fc4dc72
Status code:400
Time:Tue Jul 11 2017 16:23:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
Version:13.0.1828.219
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net

If I use the other option, other than basic authorization i.e. WindowsWithoutImpersonation, it solves the credential error problem but still doesn't refresh.
Any help is appreciated, thank in advance.

Regards,
Sahil

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors