Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jgilbe4

Insert Total Row for Dynamic Columns

Hi, I need to add a total row to the bottom of my table and my table has dynamic columns. After I have grouped my data and pivoted the columns, my table has two core columns on the left which never change- Presentation Name and Title. The columns to the right of the core columns are project numbers. These project numbers change periodically when a project ends or new ones are added.

So an example table might look like this:

Presentation Name Title 123-000 456-000

Bob                          VP    5,0000   10,000

Suzy                         HQ    1,000       2,000

I have tried to do the following but I get stuck on how to add a list sum formula for the dynamic columns:

Table.InsertRows(Previous Step, 0, {[Presentation Name=null, Title=null]}

The reason that I want to add a total row in Power Query is because I'm creating multiple files that are all alike for someone else to take over and I want to make sure that there is less work for her to update. Whenever I have a total row at the bottom of my table outside of Power Query,  if a project number changes, then I have to click and drag my sum formula each time. 

Any recommendations please?

4 REPLIES 4
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=let cols=Table.ColumNames(PreviousStepName) in PreviousStepName&#table(cols,{{null,null}&List.Transform(List.Skip(cols,2),each List.Sum(Table.Column(PreviousStepName,_)))})

KT_Bsmart2gethe
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Jgilbe4 ,

Please see below the step-to-step code for inserting total row:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcspPUtJRCgsAEqYGBgZAytAARMfqRCsFl1ZVAgU8AqGiQMoILBcLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Presentation Name " = _t, Title = _t, #"123-000" = _t, #"456-000" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"123-000", type number}, {"456-000", type number}}),

Step1 = Table.ToColumns(#"Changed Type"),                               //turn each columns to list

Step2 = List.Transform(
                Step1, 
                each 
                    List.Sum(
                        List.Select(_, each Value.Type(_) = type number)    //select only number value (change to currency type if is currency type)
                    )
                ), 
    Step3 = Record.FromList(Step2, Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type")),     //turn Step2 into a record for Step5

Step4 = Table.RowCount(#"Changed Type"),                                //get the row number for Step5

Step5 = Table.InsertRows(#"Changed Type", Step4, {Step3})               //insert total row
in
    Step5

You will need to ensure the data type for column sum columns is the same as Step2; otherwise you will get nothing.

Regards

KT

Thank you so much for replying to me! I still feel confused though. I understand what you mean about changing the column types for the project numbers however I did say that the project numbers are dynamic and change all the time. In the code above I am not sure how this is addressed. 

Would I need to have some code that looks like the following below added? And if so how would the code change that you sent me?

#"Core Columns"= {"Presentation Name, "Title"}
#"Dynamic Columns"= List.Difference(Tablr.ColumnNames(Source,#"Core Columns"),

Hi @Jgilbe4 ,

The two lines of code you provided above didn't tell me much. Perhaps you can share your full m code, and then I can tell you where to join.

Alternatively, I have a link below that provides a dynamic change type.

Dynamic Changed Type 

Regards

KT

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors