Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indexing a Table of Tables with custom Textual values

I have a Table of Tables:

Custom
Table
Table

Inside each Table, it has the following Format:

Table at index 0:

IDCol1Col2
123sddsrgfg
234lsfgldfg

Table at index 1:

IDCol1Col2
123ksdwoed
234rodmkd

I want to add a custom column to each table such that,

1st table at index 0 will have the new column values as "AAA" and 

2nd table at index 1 will have the new column values as "BBB". So resultant tables will look like this:

Custom
Table
Table

Table at index 0:

IDCol1Col2Metric
123sddsrgfgAAA
234lsfgldfgAAA

Table at index 1:

IDCol1Col2Metric
123ksdwoedBBB
234rodmkdBBB

Is this possible with pure, concise M-code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

try this solution.

Creates an Index with AAA, BBB to ZZZ, adds a Index-Column to your table an transforms it to your index logic. Then this new index-column in integrated in your tables with a Table.ReplaceValue

let
    TableA = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRKk5JKQZSRelp6UqxOtFKRsYmQG5OMZALpFJAorEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Col1 = _t, Col2 = _t]),
    TableB = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRKk5JKQZSRelp6UqxOtFKRsYmQG5OMZALpFJAorEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Col1 = _t, Col2 = _t]),
    TableList = {TableA, TableB},
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(TableList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    CreateIndex = List.Transform({"A".."Z"}, each Text.Combine(List.Repeat({_}, 3))),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Index", 0, 1),
    ConvertIndex = Table.TransformColumns
    (
        #"Added Index", 
        {
            {
                "Index",
                each CreateIndex{_}
            }
        }
    ),
    AddColumnToTable = Table.ReplaceValue
    (
        ConvertIndex,
        each [Column1],
        (tbl)=> Table.AddColumn(tbl[Column1], "Metric", each tbl[Index]),
        Replacer.ReplaceValue,
        {"Column1"}
    ),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(AddColumnToTable,{"Column1"}),
    Column1 = #"Removed Other Columns"[Column1]
in
    Column1

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jimmy801 ,

What i meant is the text in the Metric column could be anything for each of the tables. Later i want to combine and Pivot the tables on this `Metric` column. Can it not be something shorter like what List.Positions gives?

e.g. List.Positions([Custom]) i.e. a 0 for 1st table & a 1 for 2nd table.

I can't add an Index column, because then each table rows will have the same set of index numbers.

CustomMetric
Table0
Table1

So if i add another Conditional column based on Metric column, then i could do something like:

Table.AddColumn([Metric], each if [Metric]=0 then "UNIQ" else "ND" )

CustomMetric
TableUNIQ
TableND

Is there a shorter code to do something like this? I am trying to reduce the number of lines of code inorder for the query to execute quickly (optimize it).

Hello @Anonymous 

somehow you have to create an Index... automatically or manually, then add a Index to your table-column and then somehow add a new column to every single table, using you index-table. If you are satisfied with a metric of 1, 2 etc. then you can use a shorter code like this

let
    TableA = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRKk5JKQZSRelp6UqxOtFKRsYmQG5OMZALpFJAorEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Col1 = _t, Col2 = _t]),
    TableB = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRKk5JKQZSRelp6UqxOtFKRsYmQG5OMZALpFJAorEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Col1 = _t, Col2 = _t]),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(TableList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Index", 1, 1),

(
        #"Added Index",
        each [Column1],
        Replacer.ReplaceValue,
        {"Column1"}
    ),
in
    Column1

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jimmy801 i revisited your earlier code and actually you have given room for improvement. 🙂

I clubbed the steps into 2 steps like this : 

let
    ConvertedToTable = Table.FromList(TableList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    ConvertIndex = Table.TransformColumns( Table.AddIndexColumn(ConvertedToTable, "Index", 0, 1), { {"Index", each {"UNIQ","ND"}{_} } } ),
    AddColumnToTable = Table.Combine( Table.SelectColumns( Table.ReplaceValue ( ConvertIndex, each [Column1], (tbl) => Table.AddColumn(tbl[Column1], "Metric", each tbl[Index]), Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"Column1"} ), {"Column1"})[Column1] )
in
    AddColumnToTable

I especially liked this step where you are adding index, then transforming and later replacing the index values with textual ones inside each table.

= Table.TransformColumns( Table.AddIndexColumn(ConvertedToTable, "Index", 0, 1), { {"Index", each {"UNIQ","ND"}{_} } } )

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

try this solution.

Creates an Index with AAA, BBB to ZZZ, adds a Index-Column to your table an transforms it to your index logic. Then this new index-column in integrated in your tables with a Table.ReplaceValue

let
    CreateIndex = List.Transform({"A".."Z"}, each Text.Combine(List.Repeat({_}, 3))),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Index", 0, 1),
    ConvertIndex = Table.TransformColumns
    (
        #"Added Index", 
        {
            {
                "Index",
                each CreateIndex{_}
            }
        }
    ),
    (
        ConvertIndex,
        each [Column1],
        Replacer.ReplaceValue,
        {"Column1"}
    ),
in
    Column1

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors