Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chad_oge
Frequent Visitor

Incremental Refresh when using a native SQL query

Hello,

I am executing a custom native SQL query to a PosgreSQL database through an ODBC connection.  I am trying to apply Incremental Refresh to the results of this query.  I have read query folding is not possible when starting with a custom native SQL query.

But, when applying the Incremental Refresh steps and posting to PowerBI service, the inital dataset load takes around 5 minutes, and every refresh after takes only 20 seconds.  Is this not some confirmation the Incremental Refresh is working?  It defitnetly does not seem to be reloading the entire dataset again.

Can anyone provide me some assistance with this?  

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I agree @chad_oge . I almost never use the advanced query box. Use M code that folds or set up a view. 

If this thread is resolved for you, please consider marking one or more answer as "the solution"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

Does your report have all of the data?
It may be that it is cached on your server so it runs faster the second time.

You can use folding with PostgreSQL if you are using the PostgreSQL connector. Not sure about the ODBC connector. See this blog article for enabling query folding after you have entered a manual query in the advanced section.
You can also check the server profiling for your server. See what query it is processing. It is the native query you typed in and that is it, or is it also filtering the data based on date ranges? If folding is happening, you will see filters on the date being inserted by Power Query.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thank you for the reply.  I may try to solve my issue with creating a database view and importing the view into PoweBI.

I agree @chad_oge . I almost never use the advanced query box. Use M code that folds or set up a view. 

If this thread is resolved for you, please consider marking one or more answer as "the solution"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors