Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Increasing performance with list.buffer or table.buffer (removing names from list in another column)

Hello!

I retrieved all E-Mails via Excel Enterprise and a Connection to the Exchange Server.

let
Source = Exchange.Contents("companyemail"),
Mail1 = Source{[Name="Mail"]}[Data],
#"Expanded Sender" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Mail1, "Sender", {"Address"}, {"Sender.Address"}),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Expanded Sender", "Sender.Address", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("@", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Sender.Address.1", "Sender.Address.2"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Sender.Address.1", type text}, {"Sender.Address.2", type text}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Sender.Address.1", "DisplayTo", "DisplayCc", "ToRecipients", "CcRecipients", "BccRecipients", "DateTimeSent", "Importance", "Categories", "IsRead", "HasAttachments", "Attachments", "Preview", "Attributes", "Id"}),
#"Expanded Body" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Body", {"TextBody"}, {"Body.TextBody"}),

Afterwards I am filtering all the E-Mails as only specific domains are interesting to me (about 250 domains). For that I have a List with all domains I want to look into.

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Body", each ((List.Contains(ListOfDomains, [Sender.Address.2]) = true))),

In the last step I need to remove all names of our employees within the column Body.TextBody. I have a List with all employeenames . As there are more than 50k of Emails it takes quite some time to do the last step. I need to remove all names within the Body.TextBody Column for privacy reasons. I read about list.buffer and table.buffer but I don't understand how to properly make use of them. At the moment I think the list "Mitarbeiternamen" is loaded everytime into my system (not sure but it feels like it). If i'd buffer the list I think my query would run much faster as right now it takes about 2 hours. Can anybody help me?

Custom1 = List.Accumulate(Mitarbeiternamen, #"Filtered Rows", (table, old) => Table.ReplaceValue(table, old, "", Replacer.ReplaceText, {"Body.TextBody"}))
in
Custom1

1 REPLY 1
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Table.Buffer puts an entire table into memory and prevents change during evaluation, whereas List.Buffer provides a stable list, meaning it has some form of count or order.

Please refer to the following blogs:

Buffer() M Function in Query Editor (Power BI) - Adatis.

Solved: How to Improve Query Reference performance for lar... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Improving Power Query Calculation Performance With List.Buffer()

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors