Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

G_Whit-UK
Helper II
Helper II

Inconsistent date format in source data

Hi

I am importing data from a PDF table.  One of the columns is a date field, and I've found examples where the date formatting is inconsistent (mm/dd/yyyy vs dd/mm/yyyy).  The majority of the PDF reports are in dd/mm/yyyy format, which Power Query is treating as the default.  Instances where the date is in the US format are resulting in errors.  How can I transform the instances where the date is in mm/dd/yyyy format?

Power Query Date Error Example.jpg

(FYI:  The column header is "S/D")

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @G_Whit-UK 

Expanding on @mahoneypat suggestion.

You can test the entire piece of input data first to decide which data format to use. Add a column with something like try Date.From(...) otherwise "FAILED" and then test the added column for the presence of "FAILED" (group/count or filter/row count).

If all good use Date.From(...) to convert text to dates, otherwise Date.From(..., "en-US").

You can go even further depending on what date you load and how they are stored. E.g. if this is only same month data, i.e. report called 31 Jan 2020 only contains Jan data you can test that you do not have any months in the output other then contained in the report file name (this is to fight 1/11 vs. 11/1 cases).

Kind regards,

JB 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @G_Whit-UK 

Can you share the PDF file, so that we can test the solution directly? You have to share the URL to the file hosted elsewhere: Dropbox, Onedrive... or just upload the file to a site like tinyupload.com (no sign-up required).

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Hi @AlB ,

Unfortunayly I can't share the PDF reports as it has sensative client data on it.  I've attached extracts from two version reflecting how the date flips in the source files.29 Jan report extract29 Jan report extract

30 Jan report extract30 Jan report extract

I was wondering if there is a way to write an iferror statement where it then picks the date up in the mm/dd/yy format and converts it to the dd/mm/yyyy format.

FYI that iferror in power query is try...otherwise (try this and do otherwise if an error).  You could add a column that first "try"s to parse out the day month and year from the delimiters "/" and use #date(yyyy,mm,dd) to make it into a date and having a similar expression on the otherwise part (with month and day reversed).

However, I expect you will have some issues when day and month and <=12 since you won't get an error.  If there another column in the data that could be used in an if ... then ... else so you could predict which rows needed which date conversion?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @G_Whit-UK 

Expanding on @mahoneypat suggestion.

You can test the entire piece of input data first to decide which data format to use. Add a column with something like try Date.From(...) otherwise "FAILED" and then test the added column for the presence of "FAILED" (group/count or filter/row count).

If all good use Date.From(...) to convert text to dates, otherwise Date.From(..., "en-US").

You can go even further depending on what date you load and how they are stored. E.g. if this is only same month data, i.e. report called 31 Jan 2020 only contains Jan data you can test that you do not have any months in the output other then contained in the report file name (this is to fight 1/11 vs. 11/1 cases).

Kind regards,

JB 

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @G_Whit-UK , 

It seems to be related to data type , I think you could try to change type like below to see whether it work or not

694.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Maybe you can initially treat the date column as text, and follow the below reference as a guide to create a new column using the try otherwise method for converting it to a date

https://www.thebiccountant.com/2016/06/22/advanced-type-detection-in-power-bi-and-power-query/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors