cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwebb
Advisor

Re: Importing in from SSAS Cube

No - that thread is about an Excel PivotTable connected direct to SSAS, but the question here is about refreshing a Power Pivot model using SSAS as a data source which I think should work. But I asked for clarification on the details just to be sure.

Chris

BarryB75 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@cwebb  Thank you for the reply.  I'll check on the version the user has.  I've had another odd occurence with importing, my measures are coming over as text fields.  Is there any way to fix that?

cwebb
Advisor

You can always change the data type of the columns as a new step in the query editor. The problem is that the same measure in SSAS can return numbers, text or dates, so I think Power BI may decide to import them as text just to be safe. That said I've just tested it and Power BI does set the correct data types for my measures.

I remember seeing an "Import measures as text" checkbox somewhere in Power BI or Power Query in the past but I can't find it now. However the option is still there in the M code. On the Source step for your query, do you see an expression like this in the Query Editor formula bar?

= AnalysisServices.Databases("localhost", [TypedMeasureColumns = false])

Does changing TypeMeasureColumns to true make a difference? For me, measures always seem to come out typed regardless of the setting but maybe there's something about your measures...

Chris

BarryB75 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

It actually says is set to true.  I looked again and it's not all of my measures.  There is one that is a percentage that comes over as text.  There might be a percentage sign in there that's throwing it off, I'll check.  Also, as to the above about not being able to connect live, The user does appear to have the correct SSAS version installed.  Any other ideas as to why it won't do a direct connect

cwebb
Advisor

Maybe you could try (re)installing the latest version of the OLEDB for OLAP provider? You can get it here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52676

Regards,

Chris

BarryB75 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@cwebb  I'm very afraid the problem maybe the SQL is a standard edition, and it Power BI may require an Enterprise version.  Really hope that's not the case as it really de-values Power BI for SSAS cube connections.

Highlighted
cwebb
Advisor

It is the case that Power BI can only connect to SSAS Multidimensional Enterprise Edition (or BI Edition, though that has gone in SQL Server 2016):

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-ssas-multidimensional/

You can vote to try to have that changed here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11331360-connect-multidimensional...

Sorry...

Chris

View solution in original post

BarryB75 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

That's too bad.  That takes away a huge part of the appeal.  A Microsoft forum probably isn't the best place to ask, but are you aware of any other front end reporting tools that can accomplish this?

cwebb
Advisor

Actually, I've just found out that you can use Power BI with SSAS 2016 Multidimensional Standard Edition too.

Are you asking about other front end tools for Analysis Services? There are still a few left out there: Pyramid Analytics, XLCubed, Panorama Necto and Targit.

Chris

BarryB75 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@cwebb We just installed 2016 SQL Standard and it's not allowing a live connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,701)