Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

walkra
Helper III
Helper III

Imported Excel table was not left as a local query

Hi, How are you?. I hope you can help me.

I used "New Origin" (in Power Query of Power BI) to bring a table that is in an excel file.

New Origin.png

Happens that maintains the connection to that excel (which is on my pc but the file is used on another pc and apparently, an error comes out when one want to update the information).

Conect.png

I want the information that I brought to Power BI to remain within the Power BI without any connection to the excel file (keep it as a local query). 

I tried to delete the connection but I could not delete it. How can I do? (I'm sorry my English!!, I dont understand very well). 

Permisos.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @walkra 

your scenario: you connect to an excel file on local computer, but the uses comsume your report in another computer,

SteveCampbell's suggestion maybe a workaround for your scenario, in addition,

If the users need to modify reports based on your data, (he has the permission to the original data),

Please share the excel file to the user, the user just need to replace the file path with his.

open Edit queries_>Advanced editor, replace the excel file path.

If the users have no permission to the original data, they are just viewers, your report needs to update data when new data is added in data source.

please publish your report from Power BI Desktop to Service, 

then download and install the on-premise gateway, configure schedule refresh for the dataset,

then share the reports to users.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @walkra 

your scenario: you connect to an excel file on local computer, but the uses comsume your report in another computer,

SteveCampbell's suggestion maybe a workaround for your scenario, in addition,

If the users need to modify reports based on your data, (he has the permission to the original data),

Please share the excel file to the user, the user just need to replace the file path with his.

open Edit queries_>Advanced editor, replace the excel file path.

If the users have no permission to the original data, they are just viewers, your report needs to update data when new data is added in data source.

please publish your report from Power BI Desktop to Service, 

then download and install the on-premise gateway, configure schedule refresh for the dataset,

then share the reports to users.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, v-juanli-msft, How Are You?.

So in addition to these suggestions that you indicate to me, there is no possibility of importing an excel as a local query as it happens in Access (where you can import to create a new table) ?.

Thank you very much. 

Sorry, not all the text I wanted to write appeared. Here it is :

I am carrying out your first suggestion (the person to whom I sent the file has not indicated to me yet if it worked).

With respect to the second point, what happens is that the file is of the Power BI Report Server type, and I pass the .PBIX so that this sector enters it to a dedicated server that they have. I can't update it.

So in addition to these suggestions that you indicate to me, there is no possibility of importing an excel as a local query as it happens in Access (where you can import to create a new table) ?.

Thank you, very much. 

SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

in the query editor, right click the query, and untick "Include in report refresh" - (or Incluir en la actualización del informe, from google translate Smiley LOL)

n.png

This will stop it updating from the excel file

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Hi Steve. How Are You?. 

The query was already in that configuration.

Consulta1.png

I also distilled "Enable Load" where a warning came up.

Consulta2.pngConsulta3.png

But now two more queries that work badly.

Thank you very much

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors