Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

walkra
Helper III
Helper III

Import it to create a new table

Hi, How Are You?. Please, a question that I had of another query that I did: in Power Query of Power BI, is there possibility of importing an excel file as a local query as it happens in Access (where I can import it to create a new table)?.

I wanted to copy the excel table in "Specify Data" but I could not add more than 250 rows.

Thank you, Very Much. 

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @walkra ,

I'm a little confused about your requirement.

If you only want to get the data from excel in power bi desktop, you could get data as Nathaniel_C mentioned.

If you want to import the excel data model, you could click File>>Import>>Power Query like below.

Untitled.png

Hope this can help you.

If you still need help, please describe your requirement in details so that we could give further advice.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, How are you ?. I thank you, very much, both for your help
I hope you can explain it well.
I have two types of Power BI versions.
In the Power BI Report Server you do not have the option Get Data from Desktop.

Dos.pngUno.png
If I use "Import", and then select "Excel workbook content" to then choose the Excel file, a warning appears (attached image).

Tres.png

"Start" is selected and another warning appears indicating that the book has no query or model to import. But it is strange since it does have a range of data (that if I can connect with "New Origin"). Maybe I should do some think here. 

Cinco.pngCuatro.png

On the other hand, if I use the common version of Power BI the same thing happens if you use "Import", but in this version you can find "Get Data".

If Get Data is used, it does not actually perform an "Import" but instead connects to the excel file.

Siete.pngSeis.png

And here we return to the original problem that if the Power BI file is passed to another laptop, an error appears because it does not find the address where that file is located.

What do you think?.

Thank you very much

Hi @walkra ,

If you're using power bi report server version, you'd better post your requirement here to get the most professional help.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, Cherry, How are you?.

I have both versions and in both I have the same situation ( I use the common version of Power BI more times). 

It really is a topic that worries me. 

Thank you very much!!

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@walkra ,

Yes.  Go to Home Tab, Get Data and select Excel as your data source.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors