Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import Query - Sample File from Folder doesn't read data

Hi I have a folder with excel files that have multiple sheets in them which holds the same data table structure and I need to consolidate them.

I approach this as I do with normally - get data > folder > transfrom data > filter folder > combine files.

However the combine file query for the lastest file as a sample file shows no data.

Folder.PNG

When I load just that excel file alone data shows up. 

Excel Import.PNG

have pressed refresh preview multiple times but doesn't change anything. It doesn't make sense to me that the single excel loads fine but not the sample file for the folder.

Is there another approach I could do so that I can consolidate all the sheets for all excel file?

I'm open for any suggestions as long as it produce desired result.

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous 

I guess you use the button in Content column? If so, add a custom column instead, combine the tables in Custom column. Let me know if it is not the case.

Vera_33_0-1614909057620.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous 

I guess you use the button in Content column? If so, add a custom column instead, combine the tables in Custom column. Let me know if it is not the case.

Vera_33_0-1614909057620.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there I have done as you mentioned and expanded the custom column. This was good for filtering all the sheets I need. Brillant!

I am use to expanding the Content header and using the sample file to clean up data... so mynext road block is how would i remove rows which are headers and where files meet like so:

ladyhaley_0-1614910395680.png

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you promote the header before combining them? If you filter down to the tables/sheets you need, then promote header first...assume your headers are all the same for all the tables/sheets you want to combine

Vera_33_0-1614911447745.png

Or you can filter out the header later

Vera_33_1-1614911524193.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I figure just to use the date column and filter out anything with text

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

Can you please check if the files that your are using from within the folder have same structure for all of them?

Also, please share your Advanced Editor code for both the above cases to take a deeper look.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi you are correct the order of the sheets have changed over time due because of renaming the "Dalgety" sheet to "Landing" - to reflect real life changes.

ladyhaley_0-1614908795054.png

Is there a way I can dynamically look for these two sheets and merge them as one in power query?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors