cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfchartier Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Import Power BI Dataset or Dataflow table into Excel data model

Is it possible to import a Power BI Dataset or Dataflow table into an Excel data model? I've looked at using the Web.Content function with the Power BI REST API, but I keep running into an "Access to the resource is Forbidden" error and I haven't found any step by step directions on how to make this work in Excel. Before I spent much more time trying to figure this out I thought I'd ask if this is viable approach or if there is a better way. Having access to these tables would alleviate my need to reprocess all of my data when testing incremental data changes in my Excel data model.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Import Power BI Dataset or Dataflow table into Excel data model

Hi @jfchartier 

Based on my experience, connect to Power BI in excel is possible.

Thanks to contributors, You could refer to the following articles.

• In the Power BI Service:
    Analyzing in Excel, described in the official documentation.
  • From Power BI Desktop:
    Export to csv or txt files using R-script. Read article here (only in German available).
    Export to an SQL database using an R script. Read article here.
    use Excel functions, 

Import data from a Power BI Desktop file into Excel

As for connecting to Power BI dataflow directly, i find no articles saying this.

You could firstly connect to Power BI dataflow with Power bi desktop, then try methods above.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jfchartier Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

Thank you for all of your suggestions. It's nice that there are so many ways to get data in and out of Power BI/Excel. What I'm really looking for is a direct way to pull data from the Power BI Service into an Excel data model. I would like to be able to click Refresh Data in Excel and pull the latest data from a dataset/dataflow without any intermediate steps. The Analyze in Excel option gets close, but as far as I can tell, it only allows access to the data through PivotTables, which unfortunately don't seem to be accessable through Power Query. I know that I can create the PivotTable and then create a data table that references that PivotTable and then pull that data table in through Power Query, but that means I have to keep two copies of my data directly in Excel and it's a bit slow. It also appears that if we had set up data storage for our Power BI tenant I may be able to set up my dataflow to store on Azure Data Lake, which I think I could query, but it looks like that feature is still in preview and I'm not ready to try to push that through yet.

bajimmy1983 Member

Hi @jfchartier ,

Today I started looking for the same approach and ended up here and it seems there isn't a solution yet. 😞

Jaderson Almeida
Business Coordinator

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 313 members 2,876 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: