Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import Data SSAS Memory issue

Hey everyone 🙂

I'm trying to build my reports using SSAS and since i'm very limited with live connection i figured I would try the Import Data option. I imported my dimension tables, but I have a memory issue when I try to upload a view which has around 4M rows. I get this error:

Screenshot_1.png

I have installed the 64bit version. Is it because of its size that I can't upload it? And if so, is there any limitation of the size when using Import Data on SSAS.

Thanks 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
ihafidh
Regular Visitor

I was getting the same issue and after troubleshooting a bit I realized what the import was doing. When you select multiple tables, PowerBI seems to do a cross join on those tables. This leads to a huge data explosion and that is why the server runs out of memory. Try importing only one table at a time.

I had the same problem. Your comment solved my problem. Thank you!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Power BI Desktop uses much RAM when working on it. When importing large data source with huge number of rows,  you will get the above error if the memory is not sufficient. In your scenario, please increaser your RAM and use 64 bit Power BI Desktop to import SSAS data.

In addition, it doesn’t mention any size limitations when connecting to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop in this article,  however, there are other limitations, for example, servers must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 or later versions of Analysis Services, please take a look at the “Limitations of SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop” part to get more details.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @v-yuezhe-msft

You mentioned above "...servers must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 or later versions of Analysis Services...."

Where can I check If my server is running this version of Analysis Services? 

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

Please follow the instructions in the blog below to determine SQL Server Analysis Services version.

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3061/find-the-sql-server-analysis-services-and-reporting-services-version-edition-and-service-pack/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors