Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Impala - Failed to update data source credentials

This is the error I got trying to refresh data from Impala.

Failed to update data source credentials: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ThriftExtension] (0) Failed to initialize SASL client library: generic failureHide details

Connection by Desktop works but the problem is with refreshing data from Service.

Doesn’t work on both personal or enterprise gateway

I use basic authorization mode.

Appreciate any suggestions

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous ,

If you use  the built-in Impala connector in Power BI Desktop, you don't need to install ODBC driver.

Regards,
Lydia 

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue while trying Impala as Get Data, som certificate issue coming.

Power BI Desktop - Version: 2.67.5404.981 64-bit (March 2019)

Impala - CHD' Impala Kerberos authentication

As per my understanding, Microsoft built in ODBC driver not able to handshake properly with Impala.

What I mean here Microsoft built in ODBC driver'  have their own *.pem file however Impala have their own *.pem file.

To understand in more detailed I also enable trace for Power BI Desktop 

If you read below log out it is very clearly mentioned that 

"ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverSupport] (1100) SSL certificate verification failed because the certificate is missing or incorrect"

So please advise how we can specify Impala' PEM file to Microsoft ODBC built-in driver to use for authenticating to the client.

Please also note that   I have a local certificate which available to my desktop.

Just for courtesy, I installed the latest version on Power BI Desktop to fresh Virtual Machine, but same error also there.

It's highly appreciated for helping here.

Thanks.

DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2019-04-04T11:28:44.5688920Z","Action":"Engine/IO/Db/ODBC/RunWithRetryAttempt","HostProcessId":"10924","Attempt":"0","MaxAttempt":"3","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.Interop.OdbcException, Microsoft.MashupEngine, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35\r\nMessage: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverSupport] (1100) SSL certificate verification failed because the certificate is missing or incorrect.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.Interop.OdbcUtils.HandleError(OdbcHandle hrHandle, RetCode retcode)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.Interop.OdbcConnectionHandle..ctor(IOdbcInterop odbcInterop, OdbcEnvironmentHandle environmentHandle, String connectionString, Nullable`1 connectionTimeout)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.OdbcService.OdbcEngineConnection.Open()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.OdbcImpersonatingService.ImpersonatingConnection.Open()\r\n   at

@Anonymous @Anonymous  Were you able to resolve the cerificate issue and connect tthrough Impala connector ?

I am facing the same issue.

bump same issue here

I worked with Microsoft and found a workaround!

You would need to create the microsoft.impalaodbc.ini file inside the path as shown below

• for PowerBI Desktop: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\ODBC Drivers\<Simba Driver Name>
  • For On-premise data gateway: C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\ODBC Drivers\<Simba Driver Name>

You will need to put the following 3 lines in the file:

[Driver]

AllowHostNameCNMismatch = 0
CheckCertRevocation = 0

my ini file looks like below snapshot and it works:

Impala Issue resolved.PNG

After you have created the file above in that path, close and restart Power BI Desktop if it was running.

@pwanjerkhede thank you so much for helping with solution, it worked
An update to the path for Gateway 

• For On-premise data gateway: C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\m\ODBC Drivers\<Simba Driver Name>

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

As far SSL error. Have you get encrypt connection unchecked?:

w2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on my last experience Power BI build in drivers for Impala doesn't work. Alternatively, you download Cloudera ODBC drivers from their site and use ODBC connection in get data in Power BI, then you will be able to use these drivers.
Disadvantage of this is you cannot use direct query. ODBC doesn’t allow for this. So, if I have terabytes of data I am not able to use Impala with PBI. At this moment I do not have solution for this.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

What version of Power BI Desktop and Power BI gateway do you use? Are you able to refresh data in Power BI Desktop?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, in Power BI Desktop get data from Impala works.

Let me check the versions. In the mean time.

Should I have installed ODBC drivers for Impala?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors