Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NZCraig
Helper I
Helper I

If statement with multiple nulls

Hi all,

I am new to M language and have gone down a rabbit hole trying to create a column to return a single date from many possiblities based on a heirarchy.

The plain language version of what I am trying to acheive is:

If the [assignment.scheduledate] field is not empty, and the [assignment.scheduledate] is greater than or equal to the [schedstart] field, then retun the [assignment.scheduledate].

If the [assignment.scheduledate] field is not empty, and the [assignment.scheduledate] is less than the [schedstart] field, then retun the [schedstart] field.

If the [assignment.scheduledate] field is empty, and the [schedstart] field is not, return the [schedstart] field.

If the [assignment.scheduledate]  field and [schedstart] fields are both empty, return the [targstartdate] field.

I've tried various versions of the statement below but had no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

if [assignment.scheduledate] <> null and ([assignment.scheduledate] => [shedstart]) then [assignment.scheduledate] else
if [assignment.scheduledate] <> null and ([assignment.scheduledate] < [shedstart]) then [schedstart] else
if [assignment.scheduledate] is null and [schedstart] <> null then [schedstart] else
if [assignment.scheduledate] is null and [schedstart] is null then [targstartdate] else null)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Your statement was very close!  Two typos - 1. [schedstart] was spelled [shedstart] in two places and 2. you typed "=>" instead of ">=", so M thought you were starting to type a function.  Here is the code that works:

if [assignment.scheduledate] <> null and ([assignment.scheduledate] >= [schedstart]) then [assignment.scheduledate] else
if [assignment.scheduledate] <> null and ([assignment.scheduledate] < [schedstart]) then [schedstart] else
if [assignment.scheduledate] is null and [schedstart] <> null then [schedstart] else
if [assignment.scheduledate] is null and [schedstart] is null then [targstartdate] else null

If it works, please mark this as the solution.  Please let me know if any questions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Your statement was very close!  Two typos - 1. [schedstart] was spelled [shedstart] in two places and 2. you typed "=>" instead of ">=", so M thought you were starting to type a function.  Here is the code that works:

if [assignment.scheduledate] <> null and ([assignment.scheduledate] >= [schedstart]) then [assignment.scheduledate] else
if [assignment.scheduledate] <> null and ([assignment.scheduledate] < [schedstart]) then [schedstart] else
if [assignment.scheduledate] is null and [schedstart] is null then [targstartdate] else null

If it works, please mark this as the solution.  Please let me know if any questions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks so much, I had gotten so far down the rabbit hole trying to work out nested statements, I missed the most obvious mistakes!

Really appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors