Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Adham
Helper III
Helper III

If a certain value exists in another table for a column then display value

Hello All,

I really do need help with the following. I have got a table with unique ids.

sample_id

And another table containing the following columns.

sample_id       phase    Custom

2002181226LowerOutstanding
2002181226UpperDone
2002181226UpperOutstanding
2002181226UpperOutstanding
2002181227LowerOutstanding
2002181228LowerOutstanding
2002181229LowerDone
2002181229LowerDone
2002181229LowerDone

What i want to do is enter a new column in the first table which does the following:

If any row in custom column contains the value 'Outstanding' for Table_2[sample_id] = Table_1[sample_id] then display Outstanding, else display Done. The result should look like this:

sample_id       Result

2002181226Outstanding
2002181227Outstanding
2002181228Outstanding
2002181229Done

I would really appreciate some help as i have been stuck on this for half a day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Adham 

this can be done with a special merge of both tables like so:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMDK0MDQyMlOK1UHimqNyLVC5lkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [sample_id = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"sample_id", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"sample_id"}, Table.Distinct(Table.Sort(Table_2, {{"Custom", Order.Descending}}), {"sample_d"}), {"sample_d"}, "Table_2", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table_2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table_2", {"Custom"}, {"Custom"})
in
    #"Expanded Table_2"

So you merge the Table_2 to Table_1 on "sample_id" and then tweak the code so that only one row from the Table_2 remains: The one that is the first after that table has been sorted on column "Custom" in descending order.

... attaching link to file

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Adham , 

You also could refer to below M code to see whether it work or not.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMDK0MDQyMlOK1UHimqNyLVC5lkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [sample_id = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"sample_id", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"sample_id"}, Table.Sort(#"Table (5)", {{"Custom", Order.Descending}}), {"sample_id"}, "Table (5)", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Custom", each [#"Table (5)"][Custom]{0}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Table (5)"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Table (5) is second table.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Adham 

this can be done with a special merge of both tables like so:

let
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"sample_id"}, Table.Distinct(Table.Sort(Table_2, {{"Custom", Order.Descending}}), {"sample_d"}), {"sample_d"}, "Table_2", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table_2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table_2", {"Custom"}, {"Custom"})
in
    #"Expanded Table_2"

So you merge the Table_2 to Table_1 on "sample_id" and then tweak the code so that only one row from the Table_2 remains: The one that is the first after that table has been sorted on column "Custom" in descending order.

... attaching link to file

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hello @ImkeF,

Thank you very much for the solution! I really do appreciate your detailed explanation and ofcourse the file attached! The thing is with this data that more and more sample ids are going to be added. So i am thinking wouldn't it be best to:

- start off with table 2, which is from the database

- reference it to another table so that it is automatically updated as the database is updated

- Sort the Custom column in descending order

- Remove Duplicates based on sample id

Then i get my answer. Please do let me know what do you think!

Thank you again!!

Hi  @Adham  

not sure I can follow your explanation, but if the second table contains all values from the first table, there is no need for a merge at all. Simply filter the second table like I did in the merge (or a similar way).

A little comment to @dax ' solution: Although it looks pretty similar to mine, it will run much slower on large datasets, as it is not using a primary key for the merge. (an explanation can be found here: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2018/03/16/improving-the-performance-of-aggregation-after-a-merge-in-po...  )

Hello @ImkeF 

Yes the second table does contain all the values from the first table. Thank you very much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors