Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cardef01 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Identify unused measures or queries in the model

Hi all,

Is there a way to easily identify created measures or queries that are no being used in the model when having a final version?

I need to review a model, but it has so many tables, measures, and queries that I am sure many were created while developing the model, but at the end were not used.

I would like to delete them to make the model smaller and faster, but don't want to go, tab by tab and query by query tracking them down.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ibarrau Senior Member

Re: Identify unused measures or queries in the model

Hi, I'm sorry but there is no way to check what fields is the report using. You can create a list of this measures in DAX Studio to have a list of them, but just for checking.

If you want to delete unused fields, you have to go one by one.

Next time be sure to add a comment in DAX code to let any user know if that was for developing purpose and be carefull to keep to many trash.

Regards, hoping you won't having a hard time.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau Senior Member

Hi, I'm sorry but there is no way to check what fields is the report using. You can create a list of this measures in DAX Studio to have a list of them, but just for checking.

If you want to delete unused fields, you have to go one by one.

Next time be sure to add a comment in DAX code to let any user know if that was for developing purpose and be carefull to keep to many trash.

Regards, hoping you won't having a hard time.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

cardef01 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thanks @ibarrau, this could be a good development for Power BI in the future.

KNP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This may possibly be of use to you. 

https://app.datavizioner.com/

I've only tested it once but noticed it does identify unused tables, fields etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 449 members 4,268 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: