Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

IBM DB2 Connection

Hello. I'm using Microsoft's built-in connector in Power BI to try to connect to an IBM DB2 database (for z/OS mainframe). However, I'm getting the following error message:

"Microsoft Db2 Client: The package corresponding to an SQL statement execution request was not found. SQLSTATE=51002 SQLCODE=-805".

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something specific I need to communicate to my DBA? Or is this a problem with the Power BI product? I'm using the October 2016 release of Power BI.

Thanks so much for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had to help a group of clients connect, and we found that the following conditions were necessary:

1) You must have the DB2 client installed on the machine from which you are trying to connect

2) Under Advanced Options in the Power BI connection dialog:

a) You have to use the Microsoft driver (as you mention)

b) You have to uncheck the "Navigate Using Full Hierarchy" option

3) You need to connect using the Database tab (not the Windows tab) and use your MF credentials

Without all of these in place, we had to use ODBC to connect.  

FWIW, the view provided form the MF was basically just a selection of tables -- no individual columns were selectable. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
fherrera
Frequent Visitor

Did someone resolved this problem? I have the latest version of Power BI Desktop, but, even in this new version it doesn't work.

Finally the DBA group in my IT department did something (maybe they had to call Microsoft??) such that now the DB2 connector works...but only when you choose Microsoft as the driver option. Still doesn't work with the IBM option. But even though the DB2 connection now sorta works I can't say that I have witnessed any difference as compared to the ODBC connection I had been using previously. Anyone know what I should be looking for to see if the whole drama re: the DB2 connector had been worthwhile?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had to help a group of clients connect, and we found that the following conditions were necessary:

1) You must have the DB2 client installed on the machine from which you are trying to connect

2) Under Advanced Options in the Power BI connection dialog:

a) You have to use the Microsoft driver (as you mention)

b) You have to uncheck the "Navigate Using Full Hierarchy" option

3) You need to connect using the Database tab (not the Windows tab) and use your MF credentials

Without all of these in place, we had to use ODBC to connect.  

FWIW, the view provided form the MF was basically just a selection of tables -- no individual columns were selectable. 

Yes!!!
Thanks it works but what a strange solution.

fherrera
Frequent Visitor

SQLSTATE 51002.png

I have the same error. I can't connect to IBM DB2 with the new version of Power BI Desktop 2.42.4611.701 32 bit (enero de 2017).

I will be possible that this new version it doesnt have some package that DB2 need to connect to?

I was reading that maybe with the IBM Data Server Driver Package this error will be fixed, but, it didn't work.

Did someone found the solution?

Version enero 2017 32bit.png

I tried to connect to DB2 with an old version of Power BI Desktop (september 2016) and I can connect to DB2.

Version septiembre 2016 32bit.png

DB2.png

So, my hipotesis is correct? The new version of PBI Desktop doesn't have the package to connect tot DB2?

Greetings - any answer to this issue?  I have tried both versions (Oct 2016 and Feb 2017) and they both work.  However I have a 3rd installation (2017) on a third machine that does not work.  The two that work are on a 4 year old Dell latitude 64 bit Iin 7 upgraded to Win 10 and a Surface Pro 3 Win 8.1 upgraded to Win 10.  both have .Net 3.5 and 4.6.  The machine that does not work is a Surface Pro 4 native Win 10 also with .Net 3.5 and 4.6.

Help?

Thx - Steve

Hello Steve,

Could you try to connect to DB2 with the september 2016 version, please? You tried with the october version and I think in the october version it cant connect to DB2.  

Sorry but i do not have access to the September 2016 version.

I have been able to connect to DB2 with both the Oct 2016 AND the Feb 2017 version (on two different workstations) so i do not think that it is a BI version issue.  I suspect that "something" is missing off of the problem workstation(s) but have no real idea what that might be...

Update:  I discoverd that the Power BI version on the problem workstation was August 2016 (i thought that the user had been updating).  I updated to Feb 2017 and the user was able to connect to DB2.

So...in my case at least the issue was the Power BI version...

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft

This issue is still not resolved for me. Any chance I can get some support or assistance from Microsoft? Based on my reasearch so far the problem appears to be either that

(1) Microsoft's DB2 connector is for a different "flavor" of DB2 (such as LUW perhaps?) whereas I need it for z/OS (version 11)

OR

(2) Maybe I don't have the right IBM software installed (although I do have IBM Data Server Driver 64-bit v.11 installed). If so, what would that correct software exactly be?

Any help please???? Someone?? Anyone?? Microsoft?? please...

My solution was to update to latest version of BI (stated earlier so sorry nothing new).  It is now working on four different pieces of hardware (laptops and a Surface Pro 4).  What version are you running and what OS?

Update: I'm now getting the following error when I use the IBM driver:

"IBM DB2: ERROR [08001] [IBM] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "SSL". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "SOCKETS". Communication function detecting the error: "sqlccSSLSocketSetup". Protocol specific error code(s): "410", "", "". SQLSTATE=08001"

At a minimum I'd desperately like to know which of the following I need to focus my attention on to fix this: my company's DBA group, local machine (i.e., software set-up/configurtion issues), or Microsoft's Power BI team (maybe a connector flaw?).

I'm using the Version: 2.41.4581.361 64-bit (November 2016) on Windows 10 64 bit. I've tried using more recent versions but on those not only does the DB2 connector not work but the ODBC connector won't work either. So I'm stuck (for now) with the November 2016 release.

Greetings - any answer to this issue?  I have tried both versions (Oct 2016 and Feb 2017) and they both work.  However I have a 3rd installation (2017) on a third machine that does not work.  The two that work are on a 4 year old Dell latitude 64 bit Iin 7 upgraded to Win 10 and a Surface Pro 3 Win 8.1 upgraded to Win 10.  both have .Net 3.5 and 4.6.  The machine that does not work is a Surface Pro 4 native Win 10 also with .Net 3.5 and 4.6.

Help?

Thx - Steve

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @robarivas,

Do you specify specific SQL statements when connecting to IBM DB2 database? Based on my research, the above error could occur when an application is running out of resources, which is possibly due to not closing connections or improper statements. I would recommend troubleshoot the above issue following the instructions in this article and communicate to DBA to check your SQL statements .

In addition, please go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics and click "enable tracing", then connect to IBM DB2 and check the detailed logs in the traces folder. Also please help to post the detailed logs here.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the response @v-yuezhe-msft. I do not specify any specific SQL statements when trying to connect to the IBM DB2 database. And I do not understand the content of the article you referred me to.

Interestingly, the connection over ODBC does actually work but performance is unusuably slow (such as when I filter a column for example).

I've emailed the log files to pbidesfb@microsoft.com

I am an administrator for DB2 on Z/OS trying to support a Power BI desk-top user having the same problem. The user sees a -805 error returned to his session, however, this error is not taking place on Z/OS. The connection was never made. I believe the package that needs to be bound is for the data provider to support the connect request.  At this time we are stuck because we don't konw what package to bind.

I'm getting the same problem.  It works on one DB2 System which has the Package MSCS001 Bound. Can I download MSCS001 from Microsoft somewhere and Bind MSCS001 on the system I need Power BI access to?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors