Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matheuspeppers
Frequent Visitor

I really need help building this report.

Hi guys, how are you?

I need some help loading data.

I have 3 folders with various CSV files. Through Power Query, I did all the necessary transformations and even merged all the Tables to transform into one and made the separation of Dimensions and Facts Tables.

I don't know for sure how many rows the table gives, as I don't know where I can see it through Power Query, but from columns there are 32 columns.

When I close and apply to load the data into the report for me to start taking DAX measurements and working on top of my report, it takes a long time to load. I left it just over an hour charging, and it still didn't charge. It crashes at the size of Mega Bytes in each of the tables after a certain time loading and doesn't load completely, to the point where the Tables appear in the report area. I disabled the loading of Main Tables, which I used to separate into Facts and Dimensions Tables, that is, leaving only the auxiliary Tables, and even then the loading time never closes at the end. I haven't tested it for more than 2 hours to see if it charges. But even so, can anyone help me with a more effective and faster solution?

Anything I can do to make it faster and get the same end result I want.

OBS.: I merged everything, because the Tables are from different customers, but with the same columns, and in the report I want to create a page with the result of all added together and other pages with the same graphics and visuals, but filtered for each specific customer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

It really depends on the data. Power Query will not show you how many rows there are unless you go to the Transform tab and click on the Row Count button, but that will process everything to do it.

3 folders of various CSV files doesn't tell me much. If those CSVs are 10-15GB each, then yeah, that will take a while. It also depends on the transformations. The total dataset could be 50K records (small) but if you are doing something like a table scan in Power Query (using Table.SelectRows inside a custom column for example) then that won't load. Power Query is horrible at that kind of thing.

So to help, we need a lot more information.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

It really depends on the data. Power Query will not show you how many rows there are unless you go to the Transform tab and click on the Row Count button, but that will process everything to do it.

3 folders of various CSV files doesn't tell me much. If those CSVs are 10-15GB each, then yeah, that will take a while. It also depends on the transformations. The total dataset could be 50K records (small) but if you are doing something like a table scan in Power Query (using Table.SelectRows inside a custom column for example) then that won't load. Power Query is horrible at that kind of thing.

So to help, we need a lot more information.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors