Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a gateway, how do I use SQL Server from the cloud?

Hello,

I have a gateway setup, and it seems to be setup to connect to the data source. But, when I go to "Get Data", there's no option for "SQL Server" or "Use Gateway" or something obvious like that. 

I saw I can apparently set something up in the desktop app and then share it with the web interface... but that doesn't make a ton of sense. Isn't there a way I can just put my SQL statement into the cloud version and have it pull data through the gateway?

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous To answer your initial question, "no". You can't directly connect to the SQL Server from the Service.

The Desktop is really where you do want to start. It will allow you to create your model, add calculations, and tweak your data. The Service doesn't have any of those capabilities.

Just download the Desktop.

Get Data -> Set up your SQL connection

Build your reports

Publish

It's really straightforward. Think of it in terms of the Desktop is your development area, and the Service is for sharing.

Are there features and quick wins in the Service?-> Yes, but I wouldn't build a solution purely in it, nor could customize anything.

The gateway data source you set up, will automatically connect to the published PBIX dataset as long as the connection paths are the same.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Anonymous To answer your initial question, "no". You can't directly connect to the SQL Server from the Service.

The Desktop is really where you do want to start. It will allow you to create your model, add calculations, and tweak your data. The Service doesn't have any of those capabilities.

Just download the Desktop.

Get Data -> Set up your SQL connection

Build your reports

Publish

It's really straightforward. Think of it in terms of the Desktop is your development area, and the Service is for sharing.

Are there features and quick wins in the Service?-> Yes, but I wouldn't build a solution purely in it, nor could customize anything.

The gateway data source you set up, will automatically connect to the published PBIX dataset as long as the connection paths are the same.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer... That's kind of sad to hear, though. It feels like the cloud environment can do most of the core functions, and it is even able to reach and connect to a local SQL server instance by going through a gateway. It just seems odd to me that Microsoft wouldn't offer that... It makes it feel like they're only halfway committed to the cloud. But, I guess that's a theme with Office 365. 

In any case - thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors