cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FabienLeal New Member

Re: How to use Enterprise Gateway (SQL) Datasource within Designer?

Hi,

Thanks for your help, but on my side I'm still facing some troubles and data does not get refreshed.

When you say "local SQL Server", does it mean I need to install the designer on the server?

Currently I've installed the Enterprise Gateway on the SQL Server but the designer is installed on my laptop, from where I publish the reports.

Regards,

Fabien

roedeske Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Dear Fabien,

so I understood and is the way it is working for me. I see the same "problem" to have the designer installed on the source SQL server, but yeah product still in progress and we look forward.

Regards,

Michael

dhrot Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi

just wondering on the naming requirements for the gateway, datasource etc.   What are the hooks for getting this working.   Do we need to name the datasource the same as the powerbi datasource, how does it find the gateway?

I would have thought i would just select the gateway as a datasource?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

dhrot Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

In reply to my own query, it seems you need to have the PowerBI Desktop installed on the server and then publish from where the gateway is also installed and it just seems to pickup on the datasource being able to live query.

Thanks, look forward to being able to select gateway datasources in PowerBI and Excel directly.

Lourens Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Where do you reference the Gateway and/or Datasource you create under the Gateway?

For Step 3 is the "local SQL Server source" the actual name of the SQL Server?

For Step 4 did you meant to type DirectQuery versus DirectConnect?

Dodge1350 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Same here Dave, folks are stating that they can connect by give no examples of the details they are entering in for credentials to gain access... I don't want to see the exact credentials, but if there is something that has to be added to the server name or anything weird that isn't straightforward, I'd want to see the explicit example.  I would have thought that you simply connected to the gateway and selected the data source from there, strange it works otherwise.  How does it know how to transfer the call, or even intercept the call for the sql server instance?  Anyone got a clue?  Still haven't been able to use a SQL Server DirectQuery datasource through the Gateway even though it is configured and the data source is showing that it is ok in the configuration.  Any ideas?

jjuelke
Advisor

ricamiller Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

I also tried this and it does NOT work.

I am on my Azure VM with my MS SQL Server in Power BI Desktop.

I connected to my SQL Server on my Azure VM.

I saved the report.

I published to my Power BI account.

I get an error message that says this:

COMET_0024.gif

I have the enterprise gateway setup on my Azure VM.

SSAS works as expected and is easy.

All I do is click on Get Data, "Import of Connect to Data" Databases, SQL Server Analysis Services, and select my SSAS tabular models that are defined on my Enterprise Gateway - easy.

Why doesn't it work the same for SQL Server? For me it doesn't work at all.

Thanks,

Ric

sdrevik Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Just updating this- I have the same issue.   The connection string to SQL seems "locked in" at step 1 in the designer ("Get Data"), and there doesn't seem to be anyway to re-key the connection string to a gateway other than on the SAME MACHINE you are running the designer on.   Which seems seriously stupid to me.    How can a consultant design a dashboard for a customer, without saying "oh, hey, you need to give me admin access to your database server, so I can load this design program, and I'm gonna RDT into that server for a few days to build your dashboards.   That's not a problem, is it?"    #WTF