Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kana
Helper I
Helper I

How to union dbase files into 1 query and also a custom column

Dear All Master

With this I want the UNION database to be 1 query in the power query. I already used union in the connection string but I can't custom the columns for each dbf table. What I want as follows:

1. in the BOJ folder with the database name IFG.DBF I want to custom the column with the name DEPT and the contents of the column is "BOJ", in the M18 folder with the database name IFG.DBF I want to custom the column with the name DEPT and the contents of the column are "M18", in the MD2 folder with the database name IFG.DBF I want to custom the column with the name DEPT and the contents of the column are "MD2".
  2. Can I union to the first point with a different DBF database (STF.DBF in each folder)
  3. I want a function of the M code language to speed up database loading because database records are in the hundreds of thousands.
  4. I hereby attach the sample file link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wyCZuaAUBeXDVksp7Wt1St1ITEpciIk_

let
    Source = Odbc.Query("dsn=dBASE Files", "Select * From C:\Test\mytest\m18\IFG.DBF Union Select * From C:\Test\mytest\boj\IFG.DBF Union Select * From C:\Test\mytest\md2\IFG.DBF#(lf)"")")
in
    Source

16 REPLIES 16
gustavoleo
Helper II
Helper II

The only chance that you have to work with DBF files on Power BI is

using Devart OCBC Driver here -->> https://go.helpbi.com/dbf and Power BI Dataflows

First, create a Dataflows and then on another dataflow( if you have premium per user) make all the data mashup on a reference Entities /Table.
If you don't have a premium, make your transformations on Desktop from your DBF converted to a Power BI Dataflows

edhans
Super User
Super User

I cannot open a RAR file, but if what is in there is a bunch of dBase files it won't help much as don't have dBase or any ODBC setups for it in 64 bit.

That said, you need to create a query for each table, then use the Append (Table.Combine) operation.

DBF files don't support query folding, so your SQL statement isn't being sent to a database engine, and Power BI doesn't know anything about DBF files - it is relying on the ODBC driver.

You might check out this article. It runs it through Access. Access does support folding as Power BI will use the JET engine running on a PC that has Access installed, though that is for ACCDB files. Not sure if this trick will work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Dear Sir,

I don't want to make a query for each table, then use the Add operation (Table.Combine) and don't want to also via ACCDB. I want to direct 1 query from each table. I can use union only, the problem is I can't custom the columns for each dbf table or if there are other tricks from several dbf tables directly to the excel power query.

Thanks

Kana

Ok. I wish the best for you in figuring this out. Power BI just wasn't designed much with dBase tables in mind. There are 114 data sources here, and dBase isn't one of them. Might consider having a custom connector written. The documentation starts here.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

let
    Source = Odbc.Query("dsn=dBASE Files", "Select * From C:\Test\mytest\m18\IFG.DBF Union Select * From C:\Test\mytest\boj\IFG.DBF Union Select * From C:\Test\mytest\md2\IFG.DBF#(lf)"")")
in
    Source

Dear Sir,

Ok please help me to custom the connector.

The code that I use in the connection string can be just that I don't add custom columns in each dbf table.

Thanks

Kana

You can see this article for creating a custom connector. You need to be more of a programmer though to really do this.

Dear Sir,

Please guide me if using a custom connector and how to if via ACCDB

Thanks

Kana

Dear sir,

I have a solution, Can you help if the custom column that I want is based on the folder path. So please help me in adding code in the advanced editor in the power query.

let
    Source = Odbc.Query("dsn=DBASE FILES", "Select * From C:\Test\mytest\m18\IFG.DBF Union ALL Select * From C:\Test\mytest\boj\IFG.DBF Union All Select * From C:\Test\mytest\md2\IFG.DBF"")")
in
    Source

Thanks

Kana

@kana I'm not clear on your question. Can you post a screenshot of what the above code shows on your computer, and what your expected output is? I cannot test the code because I don't have dBase files nor the dBase ODBC driver. 

Dear Sir,

As per your request I attached a screenshot of mine

SCREENSHOT-1.jpg

From the code that I tried successfully, is it possible if I custom a column based on the path of the folder with the Code M language.

Thanks

Kana

Sorry, I am not clear exactly what "From the code that I tried successfully, is it possible if I custom a column based on the path of the folder with the Code M language." means.

Dear Sir,

My point is successfully using the script in sql statement to merge the dbase file into 1 query, the problem is I want a custom column. So I ask you whether you can custom column based on the folder path with the M language function code language?

Rgrds

Kana

Dear Sir,

Please give me solution.

Thanks

kana

It is difficult to understand what you are saying.

What you can do is add a custom column to a table, each one with a different connection string based on each row. Then, add another custom column with the connection to the db. E.g.

Table.AddColumn(<<Your Table with Databases>>, "Tables", each Odbc.Query(<<A formula that determins the database to connect to>>))

Finally, you just need to expand that column to do the union. 

Dear Sir,

I know what you mean by using a formula to create custom columns by analyzing each row. The problem is that it cannot identify every line because there are no markers. Now I am asking if the function of the M language code is to add a custom column based on the folder path.

Thanks

Kana

@kana  You can start with Folder.Files("Path to BOJ folder")

From there filter the files for the ones you want, then add a custom column as mentioned.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors