Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CEGOS14
Regular Visitor

How to treat an array structure as a table's field on Power Query

Hello, Everyone.

I'm using use the web source on Get Data to submit a JSON request and retrieve data from an app to Power BI. However, in some cases, I retrieve an array structure as one of the table's field, like the JSON Response transcripted below:[
{
"id": "5e34a0a597ccde5ea11630f9",
"email": "xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx.xx",
"name": "xxxxxxxxxxx",
"memberships": [
{
"userId": "5e34a0a597ccde5ea11630f9",
"hourlyRate": {
"amount": 99999,
"currency": "U$"
},
"targetId": "5e35f2eb91b8322612b42342",
"membershipType": "WORKSPACE",
"membershipStatus": "ACTIVE"
},
{
"userId": "5e34a0a597ccde5ea11630f9",
"hourlyRate": null,
"targetId": "5e378e19f4513e6e9ed4c149",
"membershipType": "PROJECT",
"membershipStatus": "ACTIVE"
}
],
"profilePicture": "xxxxxxxxxxxxx",
"activeWorkspace": "5e34a0a697ccde5ea11630fc",
"defaultWorkspace": "5e34a0a697ccde5ea11630fc",
"status": "ACTIVE"
]

How should I treat the "membership" structure transcripted above and marked as red on Power Query? I tried to filter the Response to obtain only the array and treat it as a new table, making the relationship with the original table in another moment, but I don't had success.

Could you help me, please? Thanks in advance.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CEGOS14
Regular Visitor

First of all, I would like to thank Greg and Maggie for the help. I have followed the Greg's tip and it would work if my data was a normal JSON, but it was a multidimentional JSON. I need to parse it. I have found an article here in Community, but on the Desktop Forum that is exactly my case (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unable-to-figure-out-how-can-i-make-Multidimension-JSON-Nes...). I saw the YouTube video and it is sound very complex to my Power BI knowledgement, but I will try.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
CEGOS14
Regular Visitor

First of all, I would like to thank Greg and Maggie for the help. I have followed the Greg's tip and it would work if my data was a normal JSON, but it was a multidimentional JSON. I need to parse it. I have found an article here in Community, but on the Desktop Forum that is exactly my case (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unable-to-figure-out-how-can-i-make-Multidimension-JSON-Nes...). I saw the YouTube video and it is sound very complex to my Power BI knowledgement, but I will try.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CEGOS14 

After connect to the web source succefully, what result do you get in Power BI(Power query)?

Could you show a screenshot?

Is the Json code above from the web source or something you wanted finally?

Here are some reference how to get json data with Power BI.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37512.create-power-bi-reports-from-json-...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/JSON-data-from-a-web-service-call/td-p/245938

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi, Maggie. Before to send the screenshots, I will try to expand the columns, as suggested by Greg. If the problem persist, I will send some screenshots. Thanks for your help. I will bring news soon.

Regards.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That should be a Table that you could then expand.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi, Greg. Thanks for your help.

I'll post some Power BI screenshots.

Regards.

Greg, I'll follow your tip and expand the arrays. It is strange to me, because I will have many lines of a primary-key field, but I will try. I will update here soon. Thanks.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors