Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pkoetzing
Advocate III
Advocate III

How to switch sources within sharepoint folder

I'm using an Excel file with various tables as input source to my queries. As long as this file is stored on my local drive, I can simply switch to another file using "data source settings" - "change source". But when the file is located within a sharepoint folder I don't have that option. Instead I would have to change the path in every single query using the advanced editor. Is there any way to use a kind of "global parameter" in PowerBI so that this change needs to be done in one place only?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pkoetzing
Advocate III
Advocate III

Just figured it out myself: Goto "Query Editor". On "Manage Parameters" select "New Parameter" and enter a name, a list of values and a current value. Then in "Advanced Editor" simply refer to that parameter, e.g.

File = Source{[Name=MyFileParameter,#"Folder Path"=MyPathParameter]}[Content]

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
pkoetzing
Advocate III
Advocate III

Just figured it out myself: Goto "Query Editor". On "Manage Parameters" select "New Parameter" and enter a name, a list of values and a current value. Then in "Advanced Editor" simply refer to that parameter, e.g.

File = Source{[Name=MyFileParameter,#"Folder Path"=MyPathParameter]}[Content]

Hello!

I have same issue and I am not exactly sure how you define a list of values for a parameter, could you please explain?

Hi,

Actually I wasn't using a list of values for one parameter, but different parameters for site_url, folder_name and file_name. But in the Power Query Editor you can go to 'Manage Paremeters' and under 'Suggested Values' select 'List of values' and then type your list in.

See an example here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/

if you can provide the m code for this example, that would be awesome.

Thanks for the share!

I figured it out, see below screenshot as reference. You can create parameters for each argument shown below in yellow and do not need to place (") or (&) symbols. In my case, all I needed was a parameter to toggle the filepath and left the other arguments alone.

2019-12-13_screenshot.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors