Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gjadal
Employee
Employee

How to switch an enterprise gateway?

I have an enterprise gateway installed on my machine that i use for my published reports to connect to on prem data.

I recently installed the enterprise gateway to a central server. Now I want my reports to use the new gateway. What is the best way to switch the dateways wothout impacting reports.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gjadal,

In my opinion, you can create a data source under the new data gateway in Power BI Service via Manage Gateways, then go Settings->Datasets, there will be two data gateways available, please configure the dataset to use the new data gateway.

q3.PNG

After that, you can remove the old data gateway. In this way, the report will always be online.

q4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gjadal,

In my opinion, you can create a data source under the new data gateway in Power BI Service via Manage Gateways, then go Settings->Datasets, there will be two data gateways available, please configure the dataset to use the new data gateway.

q3.PNG

After that, you can remove the old data gateway. In this way, the report will always be online.

q4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ifarhan
Frequent Visitor

@gjadal: Hope the below helps.

Step1: Prior to migration, i.e. from a local machine personal gateway to server based enterprise gatewway, ensure you do the last refresh for the dataset and archive for backup / recovery purposes AND copy the files and validate the authentication of the new gateway (using Azure preferably on a domain machine and the same access rights as per the first gateway's credentials.

Step 2: You need to add the new gateway for the new source from the admin console for the same dataset. once configured ( we are not yet at the sync stage ....), you will come across something like the below.

Selecting gateway for the same named dataset #PowerBI #GatewaySelecting gateway for the same named dataset #PowerBI #Gateway

Step 3 ( Optional 😞 You can stop the services for sometime of the first gateway to ensure the dataset doesnt sync or show online. Ensure no other reports on running on this gateway ( i.e. Gateway 1)

Step 4: Select the second gateway from the list. You should be able to see it if the authentication is successfull. ( depends whether you are using file/db/live content based source )

Step 5: Once the setup is replicated, now you need to re-run the authentication for the enterprise gateway locally and over the portal and check the connection works. Depending on your data size, monitor the refresh over the new gateway till it's not compelete.

The postings are solely my own and do not represent or constitute my partner organizations views, strategies, comments or opinions.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@gjadal In power bi service click on Settings icon (wheel) on top right hand corner -> Manage gateways -> Remove your old gateway from the list. Then go to your dataset settings and provided you have added data source under new gateway you will have an option to choose this new gateway (as old is removed by you).

Alternatively old gateway from service, remove your report (if not shared with anyone currently), then re-publish your report and it will use your new gateway (provided old gateway is removed, new one has data source added).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors