Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gleiba
Regular Visitor

How to return the most recent value of a second column based on a first column

Hello,

I am new to Power BI and have a slightly niche need that I cannot find an answer to online.

Specifically, I am looking to take a datatable of employee skills (where each time a specific skill is upadted, a new entry is recorded including an effective date) and return a new datatable of just the most recent update for each skill for each person.

To illustrate my point, I would like to take the following dataset below.

gleiba_0-1631176356495.png

And then output this datatable.

gleiba_1-1631176374988.png

All similar examples online seem to look at just counting one column based off the effective date. Any help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yaak
Helper I
Helper I

So, one of the fairly easy methods would be to load the original dataset to a Connection Only Query (I called it Datasource). Then create another query which references the first one, groups by Employee ID, Skill and Date, so you get the latest assessment date for each employee and each skill. Then merge to the original query and bring the lever score based on Employee ID, Skill and Date.

Output query:

let
    Source = Datasource,
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Employee ID", "Skill"}, {{"Latest Date", each List.Max([Date]), type nullable date}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Grouped Rows", {"Employee ID", "Skill", "Latest Date"}, Datasource, {"Employee ID", "Skill", "Date"}, "Datasource", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Datasource" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Datasource", {"Level"}, {"Level"})
in
    #"Expanded Datasource"

Output:

yaak_0-1631178011310.png

Note: there could be a potential to do it much easier which the grouping and adding Level as aggregation using max but this would work only if the latest Level is higher or equal to the previous assessment. If this can't be guaranteed then you may get wrong results.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
yaak
Helper I
Helper I

So, one of the fairly easy methods would be to load the original dataset to a Connection Only Query (I called it Datasource). Then create another query which references the first one, groups by Employee ID, Skill and Date, so you get the latest assessment date for each employee and each skill. Then merge to the original query and bring the lever score based on Employee ID, Skill and Date.

Output query:

let
    Source = Datasource,
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Employee ID", "Skill"}, {{"Latest Date", each List.Max([Date]), type nullable date}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Grouped Rows", {"Employee ID", "Skill", "Latest Date"}, Datasource, {"Employee ID", "Skill", "Date"}, "Datasource", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Datasource" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Datasource", {"Level"}, {"Level"})
in
    #"Expanded Datasource"

Output:

yaak_0-1631178011310.png

Note: there could be a potential to do it much easier which the grouping and adding Level as aggregation using max but this would work only if the latest Level is higher or equal to the previous assessment. If this can't be guaranteed then you may get wrong results.

gleiba
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help on this. I think I have managed to get your suggestion working!

It at least seems to be providing me with the correct output!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors