Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karekaasamoen
Frequent Visitor

How to refresh using REST API with OAuth2

I created a model in the designer using API data with OAuth2 authentication. To make it a bit user-friendly a created some functions named GetAccessToken(), GetPage(), GetSize() and GetPages(). These functions made it quite userfriendly to make a OAuth2 connection, and of course all the functions was parameterized for re-use in the future

Uploaded the model to powerbi.com and could not refresh the dataset, with and error message telling me that I had references to an unsupported datasource. 

I did some searches in the Forum and saw that there was some issues with parameterixed functions, so i rewrote the powerquery scripts with all URL's, clientID's etc. hardcoded - I was actually making a script with real bad coding with no possibility for future re-use of common functions

Uploaded the model again, the refresh process started so it was accepted as a datasource, but ended with a error message again telling me that the credentials stored in the cloud was missing. I guess the script was not refreshed and the stored access token was no longer valid. 

So, my question is - how do I refresh (even refresh now will help), using API datasource with OAuth2 authentication?

If this isn't possible in powerBI, I think it should be quite soon. This will make it difficult for me to use PowerBi for analyzing my data. And I'm probably not alone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Youssef
Employee
Employee

Hi,

As you guessed, refreshing data with OAuth2 authentication is not yet supported in Power BI. Editing credentials in the PowerBI.com service will require the service to know how to direct you to the OAuth login page, capture and store the access token credentials from the redirect URL and refresh the token when necessary, none of which the service know how to do today with the tooling available to you.

It seems like you have been trying to work around some of those things by writing your custom code, but it might be really hard to have a working end to end solution that way.

The good news is that this is something on the team's radar and is in the pipeline. No solid dates or ETAs at the moment, but expect to hear more announcements in this area in the future.

Youssef Shoukry
Product Manager, Power BI

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors