Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChrisBroome
Frequent Visitor

How to reference and copy data from one row to another

Hi, I'm relatively new to PowerBI and PowerQuery, so apologies if the terminology below is incorrect.

I'm trying to do something that I feel 'should' be easy;

I have data set out as follows;

IDTitleLink ID
123Apple125
125Banana-
127Orange-

I want to create a new column that reads the the link ID, finds the relevent row with that ID and then inputs the title of that row. So based on the data above, i'd like to end up with this;

IDTitleLink IDLink Title
123Apple125Banana
125Banana- 
127Orange-

Any idea on how to do this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @ChrisBroome 

I included now some errorhandling

let
Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Chris.Broome\Downloads\TISReport_15-20201023_130241.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=50, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.Csv]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type text}, {"Column13", type text}, {"Column14", type text}, {"Column15", type text}, {"Column16", type text}, {"Column17", type text}, {"Column18", type text}, {"Column19", type text}, {"Column20", type text}, {"Column21", type text}, {"Column22", type text}, {"Column23", type text}, {"Column24", type text}, {"Column25", type text}, {"Column26", type text}, {"Column27", type text}, {"Column28", type text}, {"Column29", type text}, {"Column30", type text}, {"Column31", type text}, {"Column32", type text}, {"Column33", type text}, {"Column34", type text}, {"Column35", type text}, {"Column36", type text}, {"Column37", type text}, {"Column38", type text}, {"Column39", type text}, {"Column40", type text}, {"Column41", type text}, {"Column42", type text}, {"Column43", type text}, {"Column44", type text}, {"Column45", type text}, {"Column46", type text}, {"Column47", type text}, {"Column48", type text}, {"Column49", type text}, {"Column50", type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "ID"}, {"Column2", "Title"}, {"Column3", "Link ID"}}),
#"PreviousStep" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Title", type text}, {"Link ID", Int64.Type}}),
AddColumn = Table.AddColumn
(
PreviousStep,
"Link Title",
each try Table.SelectRows(PreviousStep, (sel)=> sel[ID]=_[Link ID])[Title]{0} otherwise null
)
in
AddColumn

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

One more solution, have fun

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRciwoyEkF0oZGpkqxOtFgWkfJKTEPCIEMqJg5kOlflJiXngoWiwUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Title = _t, #"Link ID" = _t]),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each try Record.Field(Source{[ID=[Link ID]]}, "Title") otherwise null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @ChrisBroome 

answering the same time 🙂 . -however this is a little bit of another approach.

Add a new column with this forumla

Table.SelectRows(PreviousStep, (sel)=> sel[ID]=_[Link ID])[Title]{0}

Here a complete example

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRciwoyEkF0oZGpkqxOtFgWkfJKTEPCMHCxlBhcyDPvygxLx2i2lwpNhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Title = _t, #"Link ID" = _t]),
    PreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Title", type text}, {"Link ID", Int64.Type}}),
    (
        PreviousStep,
        "Link Title",
        each Table.SelectRows(PreviousStep, (sel)=> sel[ID]=_[Link ID])[Title]{0}
    )
in
    AddColumn

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

@Jimmy801 

I've managed to get the advanced editor looking like this;

let
Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Chris.Broome\Downloads\TISReport_15-20201023_130241.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=50, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.Csv]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type text}, {"Column13", type text}, {"Column14", type text}, {"Column15", type text}, {"Column16", type text}, {"Column17", type text}, {"Column18", type text}, {"Column19", type text}, {"Column20", type text}, {"Column21", type text}, {"Column22", type text}, {"Column23", type text}, {"Column24", type text}, {"Column25", type text}, {"Column26", type text}, {"Column27", type text}, {"Column28", type text}, {"Column29", type text}, {"Column30", type text}, {"Column31", type text}, {"Column32", type text}, {"Column33", type text}, {"Column34", type text}, {"Column35", type text}, {"Column36", type text}, {"Column37", type text}, {"Column38", type text}, {"Column39", type text}, {"Column40", type text}, {"Column41", type text}, {"Column42", type text}, {"Column43", type text}, {"Column44", type text}, {"Column45", type text}, {"Column46", type text}, {"Column47", type text}, {"Column48", type text}, {"Column49", type text}, {"Column50", type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "ID"}, {"Column2", "Title"}, {"Column3", "Link ID"}}),
#"PreviousStep" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Title", type text}, {"Link ID", Int64.Type}}),
(
PreviousStep,
"Link Title",
)
in
AddColumn

But get this following error;

Expression.Error: The column 'ID' of the table wasn't found.
Details:
ID

Any thoughts on why?

Hello @ChrisBroome 

the connection between the steps was not ok. Check out this. If you have performance issue let me know

let
#"PreviousStep" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Title", type text}, {"Link ID", Int64.Type}}),
(
PreviousStep,
"Link Title",
)
in
AddColumn

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Hi @Jimmy801 

Thanks for your suggestions. I think i'm nearly there; i'm able to get the references working correctly, but any row that doesn't have a reference is now showing an error message;

Expression.Error: There weren't enough elements in the enumeration to complete the operation.
Details:
[List]

I thought the issue may be solved by adding an 'otherwise Null' command, but can't get this to show in the following code without getting a syntax error;

let
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
(
#"Promoted Headers",
"Link Title",
each Table.SelectRows(#"Promoted Headers", (sel)=> sel[Key]=_[Epic Link])[Summary]{0}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(AddColumn,{"Key", "Summary", "Epic Link", "Link Title", "Team (WEB)", "Fix Version/s", "Issue Type", "Open", "Done", "Backlog", "In Test", "Ready For Test", "SignOff", "Code Review", "In Development", "Ready for Development", "New", "Under review", "Obsolete", "Out of Scope", "In Build", "Ready for Dev", "In Design", "Scoping", "Scoping in Progress", "Development in progress", "Ready for code review", "Code Review in progress", "Ready for QA", "QA in Progress", "New Idea", "Dev In progress", "Ready for UAT", "Dev Done - Not Deployed", "Refining", "Reviewed", "Ready To Test", "Design - WIP", "Ready for Review", "Rework In Progress", "Approved by Business", "Refining Requirements", "Approved Dev Ready", "Task Complete", "Requires sizing", "Amigos Review", "Open/Reopened", "Sign Off", "In Progress", "Resolved", "Closed"}),
#"Link Title" = #"Reordered Columns"{3}[Link Title]
in
#"Link Title"

So two questions;

1. how do I resolve the errors for rows with no reference, and

2. if turning them into null values will resolve this, how can i modify the above code to include this?

Thanks in Advance.

Hello @ChrisBroome 

I included now some errorhandling

let
(
PreviousStep,
"Link Title",
each try Table.SelectRows(PreviousStep, (sel)=> sel[ID]=_[Link ID])[Title]{0} otherwise null
)
in
AddColumn

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @ChrisBroome 

You can do that in DAX or PQ. For the latter, place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRciwoyEkF0oZGpkqxOtFgWkfJKTEPCIEMqJg5kOlflJiXngoWiwUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Title = _t, #"Link ID" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Title", type text}, {"Link ID", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each try #"Changed Type"[Title]{List.PositionOf(#"Changed Type"[ID], [Link ID])} otherwise null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Hi @AlB,

thanks for the help.

I get a 'token Eof expected' error when entering this information. I've tried to add a custom column and entered this as the formula. is that correct? it highlights the #changed type as being the error (in red below);

let
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Title", type text}, {"Link ID", Int64.Type}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each try #"Changed Type"[Title]{List.PositionOf(#"Changed Type"[ID], [Link ID])} otherwise null)
in
#"Added Custom"

@ChrisBroome 

I don't get any error. Have a look at the attached file.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors