Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CG_pbi
Frequent Visitor

How to merge or combine rows with unique value from different tables?

Hello all,

I have read multiple thread for my issue, but i did not find a way to solve it. I'm sure this is pretty simple, but i can't achieve... 

I have 6 different tables (from excel files) with many columns in each (total is 92 for all 6 files). Each table has a column with a device ID, and device ID is unique in table. This device ID can exist in other tables, or not. My need is to create a new table with a column that will retrieve all distinct Device ID from different tables, and to populate each columns (the 92) with values from each files. 

Basically i have something like this: 

TABLE 1

CG_pbi_0-1643889496348.png

Table 2

CG_pbi_1-1643889522537.png

Table 3

CG_pbi_2-1643889534094.png

And i need to have something:

CG_pbi_3-1643889554304.png

I have tried merging as new query, append as new, unpivot column, etc.. nothing work until the end. I always end up with an error about dateformat that cant be parsed... even if i remove all columns with date (and after checking the format of each column and replace any blank date with a value).

I have been able to create a new table with all distinct Device ID, but only in the reporting part, not in power query editor (via Transform data). Should i continue this way, and create my 92 columns using some sort of "vlookup" formula to populate the values? I thought there might be a way to do it quickly in power query...

Thank you for any advice, help on the good way to do it.. I am kind of desperate ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

@CG_pbi ,

OK. First things first: why do you want all this data in one table when you have a common field ([Device ID]) between them?

The 'correct' way to handle this would be to have a Device dimension table (all possible unique device ID's, then some columns telling us about each device), and relate this in the data model to each of your smaller tables on dimDevice[Device ID] ONE : MANY subTable1[Device ID], subTable2[Device ID], subTable3[Device ID]... etc.

You then use dimDevice[Device ID] (or any other dimension from the dimension table) in visuals and Power BI automatically filters all the sub tables to the relevant rows.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

@CG_pbi ,

OK. First things first: why do you want all this data in one table when you have a common field ([Device ID]) between them?

The 'correct' way to handle this would be to have a Device dimension table (all possible unique device ID's, then some columns telling us about each device), and relate this in the data model to each of your smaller tables on dimDevice[Device ID] ONE : MANY subTable1[Device ID], subTable2[Device ID], subTable3[Device ID]... etc.

You then use dimDevice[Device ID] (or any other dimension from the dimension table) in visuals and Power BI automatically filters all the sub tables to the relevant rows.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you so much for your help! It is working fine now with the new table. 
I never noticed this command before to show empty data.. and obviously it resolves everything! 😉

Hello @BA_Pete 

Thank you so much for your quick reply! 

I have managed to create a single table with distinct Device ID, and to create relationship with other tables. 

Then when i use visuals, let's say with a simple table visual, i have all my values. When i start adding other values, it remove rows for which Device ID do not have the information. 

For example: 

Device 1 has value A and B from table 1

Device 2 has value C and D from table 2 (it doesnt exist in table 1)

When i select Device ID from the newly created table, and Value A, i have only Device 1 showing up.

I guess this is normal since there's no value available for Device 2, but then if i add a new one, let's say D, i will not have anything anymore showing up. I would expect to have blank value when it's not existing... That's why i was trying to recreate a table with all rows merged into one for each Device ID. 

Hi @CG_pbi ,

If I understand you correctly, and assuming that you have set up your model as I suggested, you should just be able to right-click dimDevice[Device ID] from the Values list when it's in a visual and select 'Show items with no data'.

Pte

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors