Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

fitordz

How to increase the number of rows in preview at Power Query editor?

Does anybody know how to increase the number of rows in preview at power query editor? I wanna split a column based on a delimiter on a dataset >100K rows, but the number of columns which is created is defined by the preview of 1K instead of checking the whole dataset. I'm using an MS SQL View as a source.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

It is 1,000, or all of them.
Just click where it says "Column Profiling based on top 1,000 rows." I did this on a 3 million record database and it took about 5min to read in to Power Query and do its analysis, far longer than to just read it in to the datamodel. 

However, the number of columns has nothing to do with the number of rows. If the first 1,000 records have nothing in column X, they will show null, not prevent you from seeing the column.

If you've recently added the column, then you need to tell it to REFRESH ALL in the Home Menu, and possibly clear the Power Query cache and have it reload it.

20191028 16_45_08-.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

It is 1,000, or all of them.
Just click where it says "Column Profiling based on top 1,000 rows." I did this on a 3 million record database and it took about 5min to read in to Power Query and do its analysis, far longer than to just read it in to the datamodel. 

However, the number of columns has nothing to do with the number of rows. If the first 1,000 records have nothing in column X, they will show null, not prevent you from seeing the column.

If you've recently added the column, then you need to tell it to REFRESH ALL in the Home Menu, and possibly clear the Power Query cache and have it reload it.

20191028 16_45_08-.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors