cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sfmike99
Advocate II
Advocate II

How to get back to Query Editor after adding custom column?

I add a custom column in Power Query using Query Editor. This is a conditional column. However when I go back to edit it, it opens the conditional column guide (below) instead of the editor. How can I get back to Query Editor to make changes?

Thanks for any suggestions! 

sfmike99_0-1610495210815.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sfmike99 
Because you have used if function in the formula, which is recognized as a condition column by default. In this case, you can edit the formula in the formula far or in the advanced editor.

V-pazhen-msft_0-1610696653806.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sfmike99 
Because you have used if function in the formula, which is recognized as a condition column by default. In this case, you can edit the formula in the formula far or in the advanced editor.

V-pazhen-msft_0-1610696653806.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

sfmike99
Advocate II
Advocate II

No I created it using "Add Column-Custom Column" which puts me into the Query Editor. When I click on it next time to edit, it takes me into the "Add Conditional Column" tool which I don't want. Here's how to reproduce:

Create a custom column like "if [Index] = 1 then [Index] else [Value]"
Save it and then clidk on the gear icon.

It takes me into the Conditional Column helper and I can't get back to the Query Editor. 

mahoneypat
Super User IV
Super User IV

Did you make that step using the filter pull down on that column?  In any case, you can get to the M code either in the Formula Bar or the Advanced Editor.  You can also pull down the same arrow on that column and modify that step that way too.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors