Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Humanity
Regular Visitor

How to find a Power BI freelancer to connect Excel calculations to Power BI

Please forgive me for being a complete & total newb to Power BI.

I'm making a PowerApp that must use Excel for calculations because the workbooks have 1000s of formulas in them. PowerApps can't directly read/write into excel tables that have formulas in them. So it looks like learning Power BI is my only option.

Example:

#1 User puts into PowerApp they have 10 Happy Pops.
#2 Excel Table 1 is updated with a total of 10 in the Happy Pops column
#3 Excel Table 2 reads Table 1 and does the caclcuations and generates 3 outputs (Total sugar, total value, number of cases)
#4 _______???________
#5 PowerApps displays calculation results to user in individual text fields

I would like to pay someone to show me how to do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@edhans 

PowerApps isn't good for heavy calculation sets, Power BI or SQL is usually used.  The excel trick is just to demonstrate concents of really complex calculation sets, in order to visualize before committing to an end product.

A paid Microsoft certified freelancer told me that there is a way to do what I proposed using, but there would be a limitation on how many updates Power BI can perform in a day, even if you are forcing the updates, unless you get a Power BI Premium license ($5000/month).

Since the solution is forking into two directions, I will close this here now.  If you found this post because you were trying to get excel to perform your complex calculations. Till, further notified I definitely encourage focusing on Power Automate instead of BI, beacause of the daily push/pull limiations of Standard & Pro service levels.  If you already have a Power BI Premium license, then I would use it with Power Automate where you need, and use the real-time feed to your advantage.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Sacred_Totems

I found Upwork & Freelancer had some really good people.  Not being a tech industry pro, I wasn't sure where else would be considered popular.  I will leave this post up after this. If so maybe we can put down if we found any other that worked out to help us solve single problems, or get 1-on-1 quick training help on short notice.

edhans
Super User
Super User

This is not that difficult, but I am not sure what it has to do with Power BI.  You should just have Power Apps do the calculations. If that is not possible for some reason, you need to ask this question inthe Power Apps community with a lot more information than provided here.

If I've misunderstood how Power BI fits into this, please clarify where you see Power BI fitting into this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

@edhans 

PowerApps isn't good for heavy calculation sets, Power BI or SQL is usually used.  The excel trick is just to demonstrate concents of really complex calculation sets, in order to visualize before committing to an end product.

A paid Microsoft certified freelancer told me that there is a way to do what I proposed using, but there would be a limitation on how many updates Power BI can perform in a day, even if you are forcing the updates, unless you get a Power BI Premium license ($5000/month).

Since the solution is forking into two directions, I will close this here now.  If you found this post because you were trying to get excel to perform your complex calculations. Till, further notified I definitely encourage focusing on Power Automate instead of BI, beacause of the daily push/pull limiations of Standard & Pro service levels.  If you already have a Power BI Premium license, then I would use it with Power Automate where you need, and use the real-time feed to your advantage.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors