Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OmtaBeginner1
Frequent Visitor

How to create a shift rotation schedule in Power Bi?

Hi ,

I got an assignment from a section in my company where they wanna track each shifts StopDurationTime and cause of it. The purpose is to get an overview of causes for each shift. The overview will help us understand what causes we have to analyze for each shift and hopefully we can try to reduce the StopDurationTime. 

Ill give you a backround:

We have 3 shifts:

1. Shift 1 
2. Shift 1:2
3. Shift 2

So basically,
Shift 2 only works Day and Evening - (06:30AM - 15.06 PM) and (15.06 PM - 23.42 PM). 
Either Shift 1 or Shift 1:2 will work night time (23.42 PM - 06:30 AM) for 4 weeks straight. 
For an example: If Shift 1 work night time (4 weeks straight), Shift 1:2 vill join Shift 2 to cover either day och evening shifts.  

Since the year started (Week 1) we have a rotation schedule looking like this and it will continue liks this through this year: 

OmtaBeginner1_2-1643700659729.png

How can I Create a pattern in Power Query? 
Should I create a loop or is there another way of doing it?

I've created a function where = 

let
varTime = DateTime.Time([Starttid])
in
if varTime >= #time(06,30,0) and varTime < #time(15,05,59) then "FM-Skift"
else if varTime >= #time(15,06,0) and varTime < #time(23,41,59) then "EM-Skift"
else "Natt-Skift" 

This function divides the 24 hours into different shifts during the day - In this case FM (Day) , EM (Evening) , Natt (Night)
I want to replace FM,EM,NATT to each shifts (Shift 1, Shift 1:2, Shift 2) related to the rotation.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I think the simplest method would be to set up your pattern and use Table.Repeat to copy it as many times as you want.

I filtered to the first 8 rows and removed the Week column before repeating and then added back the Week column by defining a new index column:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQrOyEwrUTC0MkKw4SwjpVidaCUjrKqQ1YNUGRNllglRZpli0Y+qHqTKDKstyOpBqsyJMsuCKLMsifKjoQFRnjQkLvQNiQj+WAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Week = _t, Night = _t, Evening = _t, Day = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Week", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Week] <= 8),
    #"Repeated Table" = Table.Repeat(Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Week"}), 7),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Repeated Table", "Week", 1, 1, Int64.Type)
in
    #"Added Index"

Repeating 7 times (as above) returns 56 rows. You can trim off extra rows or repeat more time as you see fit.

View solution in original post

Create a new blank query (or duplicate any existing query) and open the advanced editor and replace all the text with the M code I provided. This will recreate exactly what I did and you can walk through the applied steps.

Instead of connecting to a source, I use the Enter Data tool. The long green text is that entered data in a compressed format.

To apply to your data, you're essentially trying to recreate the last three steps (Filtered Rows, Repeated Table, and Added Index).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OmtaBeginner1
Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much for the help!

It worked extremly well! 

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I think the simplest method would be to set up your pattern and use Table.Repeat to copy it as many times as you want.

I filtered to the first 8 rows and removed the Week column before repeating and then added back the Week column by defining a new index column:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQrOyEwrUTC0MkKw4SwjpVidaCUjrKqQ1YNUGRNllglRZpli0Y+qHqTKDKstyOpBqsyJMsuCKLMsifKjoQFRnjQkLvQNiQj+WAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Week = _t, Night = _t, Evening = _t, Day = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Week", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Week] <= 8),
    #"Repeated Table" = Table.Repeat(Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Week"}), 7),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Repeated Table", "Week", 1, 1, Int64.Type)
in
    #"Added Index"

Repeating 7 times (as above) returns 56 rows. You can trim off extra rows or repeat more time as you see fit.

I've been trying to figure out how to manage this code related to my data. Is there a possibility you could simplify this example a litte more? For an example, the long green text - is that a source? And where do i put this code - Power Bi or the Query? 

// Noob 😄  

Create a new blank query (or duplicate any existing query) and open the advanced editor and replace all the text with the M code I provided. This will recreate exactly what I did and you can walk through the applied steps.

Instead of connecting to a source, I use the Enter Data tool. The long green text is that entered data in a compressed format.

To apply to your data, you're essentially trying to recreate the last three steps (Filtered Rows, Repeated Table, and Added Index).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors