Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

beatrizroque
Regular Visitor

How to create a new column with the sum of values of another column based on criteria?

Hi, I am very new to this so I don't know better words to explain what I'm trying to do, but here it goes:

I have a table like this:

EmployeeType of Day OffDay OffWork Hours
JohnHoliday1/1/20210
JohnVacation1/11/20218
JohnVacation1/12/20218
JaneHoliday1/1/20210
JaneVacation2/19/20218

And using power query I would like to get the following output:

EmployeeJanuaryFebruary
John160
Jane08

where in each month column I get the total hours each employee has "booked" as vacation for that month.

I know that probably the internet is full of answers for my problem, but I don't know how to search for this.

Finally, as I said before, I am very very new to this, so if you could show me a step by step, that'd be awesome.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@beatrizroque 

Yes, it is possible, got Power Query in Excel and follow these steps.
Create a blank Query, go to the Advanced Editor, clear the existing code, and paste the codes give below and follow the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcs0tyMmvTE1V0lEKqSxIVchPU3BJrFTwT0sDiiBY4flF2Qoe+aVFxUqxOtFKXvkZeUBRj/yczJTESiDLUN9Q38jAyBDINEBWEZaYnFiSmZ8HUQJXY4FbjRGamsS8VAI2QVQgmWKkb2iJZEosAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"(blank).1" = _t, #"(blank).2" = _t, #"(blank).3" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(blank)", type text}, {"(blank).1", type text}, {"(blank).2", type text}, {"(blank).3", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Employee", type text}, {"Type of Day Off", type text}, {"Day Off", type date}, {"Work Hours", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Inserted Month Name" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Month Name", each Date.MonthName([Day Off]), type text),
    #"Inserted Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Month Name", "Year", each Date.Year([Day Off]), Int64.Type),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Inserted Year", {{"Year", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Month Name", "Year"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Month Year"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Merged Columns", {"Employee", "Month Year"}, {{"Hours", each List.Sum([Work Hours]), type nullable number}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Grouped Rows", List.Distinct(#"Grouped Rows"[#"Month Year"]), "Month Year", "Hours", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Fowmy_0-1623422863205.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@beatrizroque 

Go to Data view, select the table, and click on New Column and add the following code:

Month Year = EOMONTH(Table13[Day Off],0)

Select the new column and apply the format as "mmm yyyy"

Fowmy_0-1623421276440.png
In Report View, Add Matrix Visual and place the fields as shown below.

Fowmy_1-1623421330940.png

thanks @Fowmy 

I am using Power Query in Excel. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum, but I thought I could post here because google searches always bring me here.

Is it possible to do this on power query in excel? If so, how? And if not, should I look into power bi?

@beatrizroque 

Yes, it is possible, got Power Query in Excel and follow these steps.
Create a blank Query, go to the Advanced Editor, clear the existing code, and paste the codes give below and follow the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcs0tyMmvTE1V0lEKqSxIVchPU3BJrFTwT0sDiiBY4flF2Qoe+aVFxUqxOtFKXvkZeUBRj/yczJTESiDLUN9Q38jAyBDINEBWEZaYnFiSmZ8HUQJXY4FbjRGamsS8VAI2QVQgmWKkb2iJZEosAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"(blank).1" = _t, #"(blank).2" = _t, #"(blank).3" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(blank)", type text}, {"(blank).1", type text}, {"(blank).2", type text}, {"(blank).3", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Employee", type text}, {"Type of Day Off", type text}, {"Day Off", type date}, {"Work Hours", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Inserted Month Name" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Month Name", each Date.MonthName([Day Off]), type text),
    #"Inserted Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Month Name", "Year", each Date.Year([Day Off]), Int64.Type),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Inserted Year", {{"Year", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Month Name", "Year"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Month Year"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Merged Columns", {"Employee", "Month Year"}, {{"Hours", each List.Sum([Work Hours]), type nullable number}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Grouped Rows", List.Distinct(#"Grouped Rows"[#"Month Year"]), "Month Year", "Hours", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Fowmy_0-1623422863205.png

@Fowmy 

I have one follow-up question.

I noticed that the months do not appear in chronological order, like this 

beatrizroque_0-1623429464471.png

or this 

beatrizroque_1-1623429484612.png

how do I sort the columns chronologically?

@beatrizroque 

Since you are using this in Excel I created two queries, one summary and the as a table so you can use a Pivot Table to Summary as you need. The month order is sorted out.

@Fowmy

It took me some trial and error, but I did it! Thanks a lot!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors