Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smjzahid
Helper V
Helper V

How to connect to Microsoft Planner to Power BI

I can see there is no out of the box ro direct connect available within PBI Desktop which connect to Microsoft Planner.

How can I connect to Planner (without using Microsoft Graph API) considering I am not the GLOBAL ADMIN on my Azure tenant.

How do I keep this data updated in Power BI 9meaning whnever someone modifies any bucket on panner, it should then be picked up in the next scheduled refresh in Power Bi and the report must then show the changed data.

Is there a easy way to do this, I have tried so many option but all in vein.

13 REPLIES 13
kmax
Frequent Visitor

Hi,
What I did was export the planner data into JSON files (buckets, users, assignements, tasks, labels) etc using automate flow.  Stored these JSON files on sharepoint site and connected through web connecter. Created model in Power BI and and the report was completed.

kmax
Frequent Visitor

You need to export planner data in JSON using Power Automate.

Here is the step by step process to connect Power BI to planner data, modeling and build the report.
Part-1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbcrJbwoIOwChristine Payton - YouTube
Part-2: Get PLANNER Data into Power BI Part 2: Assignee Names & Bucket Names - YouTube

Since this appears to be one of the top Google results for "get planner data", I just want to share that there's an update to this series that is much more clear to follow for the part 2 - the original link will no longer work (I unlisted it to avoid confusion), unsure if you're able to edit your post link @kmax ? Here's the new one:

Get All Planner Task Details with Power Automate

Thanks!!

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smjzahid 

You may try some Power Automate solutions. There is a Power Automate Template (Export Microsoft Planner tasks to a SQL database). You can export Planner data into a database at a scheduled time and connect Power BI report to this database. 

Other options: 

Visualizing Microsoft Planner & Tasks data in Power BI — DATA GOBLINS

Or third-party connector:

Author Power BI Reports on Real-Time Microsoft Planner Data (cdata.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @smjzahid , I agree with @ImkeF. Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to use microsoft graph as an OData Feed? 

https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/planner/plans/{Plan ID}

I ask because I am not a Global Admin on my tenant but I don't have any problems loading this up.  For credentials I used my org account.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! ?
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

HI @Watsky  Your post is very helpful. I used the ODate feed and imported the data of a Plan to Power BI. However, I found the imported data has nested tables that cannot be openned and some fields such as notes and descriptions are missing in the data. As the bucket and tasks are two separate tables, I have to import them separately and merge them. Have you met with the these problems?

Hi @Watsky 

Yes If I use above URL as ODATA Feed connector in PBI, get some results back in Power BI (see below)

image.png

after clicking on the bucket (table) it then gives this navigation step, where it says below error,

How Do I fix this error in Power BI please?

smjzahid_0-1632925171584.png

The closest to grabing all tasks related to a plan and bucket is using 

https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/planner/plans/{plan id}/tasks

Watsky_0-1633016774803.png

You probably want more specific info that's found in

https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/planner/tasks/{task id}/details

Within here you can find the Last ModifiedDateTime. Downside is this is done on the task level and not the planner level.

Thanks for the above links, It does not give me detailed information on Plan level. How do I retrieve below shown columns from ODATA Feed or the WEB connector please

image.png

@smjzahid ,

Unfortunately there isn't a one stop API call that will give you all of this. It will take using all of the different calls to gather this information.

Take a look at the Graph Explorer and search using the word planner.

Graph Explorer - Microsoft Graph

Hi @Watsky 

Thanks for your reply, I tried the Graph Explorer, but then it asks for an admin credentials. (see below). 

image.png

Hey @smjzahid , 

You don't have to sign in just use the search below the sign in button and search planner. That will give you all the different calls you can make against it.

Watsky_0-1633700421191.png

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @smjzahid ,
I'm not aware of a solution in PBI that doesn't use the Graph API.
What you could do is to set up a flow in Power Automate that retrieves all buckets regularly and and writes back changes to a file that PBI ingests.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors