Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to combine column 1 and column 2 such that all the elements in column 2 move below column 1?

sw40_0-1609319100743.png

Hi everyone, 

I want to combine variable, variable1 and variable2 into one column and value, value1 and value2 into another column which means the total number of rows will be 36. So at the end of the table it will only have 2 columns which is variable and value. May I know how should I do? Thank you.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Create a function from the code above (named  "function_")

(inputT_ as table)=> 
let
    colNames_ = Table.ColumnNames(inputT_),
    colNum_ = Table.ColumnCount(inputT_),
    auxList_ = List.Numbers(0,colNum_/2),
    auxList2_ = List.Transform(auxList_, each Table.RenameColumns(Table.SelectColumns(inputT_,List.Range(colNames_, _*2,2)),{{colNames_{_*2}, "Value"}, {colNames_{_*2+1}, "Variable"}})), 
    TFinal_ = Table.Combine(auxList2_)
in
    TFinal_

Then you can apply it on the query you showed above:

let
 Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=FB&ty=c&p=d&b=1")),
 res_ = function_ (Source{0}[Data])
in
 res_

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

See it all at work in the attached file

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

did any of the answer suit your requirements? If yes, please mark them as solution please

BR

Jimmy

11 REPLIES 11
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

did any of the answer suit your requirements? If yes, please mark them as solution please

BR

Jimmy

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

See it all at work in the attached file

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Create a function from the code above (named  "function_")

(inputT_ as table)=> 
let
    colNames_ = Table.ColumnNames(inputT_),
    colNum_ = Table.ColumnCount(inputT_),
    auxList2_ = List.Transform(auxList_, each Table.RenameColumns(Table.SelectColumns(inputT_,List.Range(colNames_, _*2,2)),{{colNames_{_*2}, "Value"}, {colNames_{_*2+1}, "Variable"}})), 
in
    TFinal_

Then you can apply it on the query you showed above:

let
 Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=FB&ty=c&p=d&b=1")),
 res_ = function_ (Source{0}[Data])
in
 res_

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

This  can probably be done with pivot/unpivot.

Can you share the original table in text format (instead of a screen pic) so that it can be copied

And show also the expected result, what the final table should look like

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

VariableValueVariable1Value1Variable2Value2Column7Column8Column9Column10Column11Column12

IndexS&P 500P/E32.82EPS (ttm)8.43Insider Own0.63%Shs Outstand2.85BPerf Week1.46%
Market Cap790.44BForward P/E26.39EPS next Y10.49Insider Trans-9.62%Shs Float2.39BPerf Month-0.37%
Income25.28BPEG1.98EPS next Q3.19Inst Own79.90%Short Float0.97%Perf Quarter5.73%
Sales78.98BP/S10.01EPS this Y-15.10%Inst Trans-0.25%Short Ratio1.25Perf Half Y21.89%
Book/sh41.31P/B6.7EPS next Y12.21%ROA18.10%Target Price321.15Perf Year35.40%
Cash/sh19.48P/C14.21EPS next 5Y16.60%ROE23.30%52W Range137.10 - 304.67Perf YTD34.85%
Dividend-P/FCF41.19EPS past 5Y42.20%ROI17.40%52W High-9.15%Beta1.19
Dividend %-Quick Ratio5.5Sales past 5Y41.50%Gross Margin81.00%52W Low101.88%ATR7.17
Employees56653Current Ratio5.5Sales Q/Q21.60%Oper. Margin36.40%RSI (14)52.02Volatility2.46% 2.71%
OptionableYesDebt/Eq0EPS Q/Q28.10%Profit Margin32.00%Rel Volume0.88Prev Close277.00
ShortableYesLT Debt/Eq0EarningsOct 29 AMCPayout0.00%Avg Volume18.64MPrice276.78
Recom1.80SMA20-0.0006SMA500.31%SMA20014.74%Volume16,361,201Change-0.08%

Hello @Anonymous 

you can try thi dynamically approach.

First exctract all value and variable columns and transform this list into the real values of you columns. Then combine this two list into one and create with this data your final table. Here an example

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("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", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"(blank).1" = _t, #"(blank).2" = _t, #"(blank).3" = _t, #"(blank).4" = _t, #"(blank).5" = _t, #"(blank).6" = _t, #"(blank).7" = _t, #"(blank).8" = _t, #"(blank).9" = _t, #"(blank).10" = _t, #"(blank).11" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(blank)", type text}, {"(blank).1", type text}, {"(blank).2", type text}, {"(blank).3", type text}, {"(blank).4", type text}, {"(blank).5", type text}, {"(blank).6", type text}, {"(blank).7", type text}, {"(blank).8", type text}, {"(blank).9", type text}, {"(blank).10", type text}, {"(blank).11", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Variable", type text}, {"Value", type text}, {"Variable1", type text}, {"Value1", Int64.Type}, {"Variable2", type text}, {"Value2", type text}, {"Variable3", type text}, {"Value3", Percentage.Type}, {"", type text}, {"_1", type text}, {"_2", type text}, {"_3", type text}}),
    GetVariables = List.Combine(List.Transform(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type1"), each Text.Contains(_, "Variable")), each Table.Column(#"Changed Type1", _))),
    GetValues =List.Combine(List.Transform(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type1"), each Text.Contains(_, "Value")), each Table.Column(#"Changed Type1", _))),
    CreateFinalTable= Table.FromColumns
    (
        {
            GetVariables,
            GetValues
        },
        {
            "Variables",
            "Values"
        }
    )
in
    CreateFinalTable

Jimmy801_0-1609320437292.png

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jimmy, thanks for your solution! Sorry to say that I actually need to loop through different stocks by making this as a query function. So the first step I planned is to merged all the variables into one column and value in another column. In fact, there are more than 3 variables and values. I actually scrap the data from the website : https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=FB&ty=c&p=d&b=1

The code below is my code for now:

let
Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data0,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type number}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", Percentage.Type}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Hello @Anonymous 

here the function of my code.(not tested). This takes a table and combines all "Variable"-columns and all "Value"-columns into one single column for each type. Be aware that Power Query is case sensitive

(t as table) as table => 
let
    Source = t
    GetVariables = List.Combine(List.Transform(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source ), each Text.Contains(_, "Variable")), each Table.Column(Source , _))),
    GetValues =List.Combine(List.Transform(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source ), each Text.Contains(_, "Value")), each Table.Column(Source , _))),
    CreateFinalTable= Table.FromColumns
    (
        {
            GetVariables,
            GetValues
        },
        {
            "Variables",
            "Values"
        }
    )
in
    CreateFinalTable

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB Sorry, I'm new to power query and this forum, is what I did correct? Basically I just scrapped the table from this website: https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=FB&ty=c&p=d&b=1

@Anonymous 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bZLfb4IwEMf/lYbEZEu0tIUiPCriYjIjyl6M86FKM4gKDOrm/vtdCzPO7YX70e/n7nLHZmPNilRerL6VvJ4JYV6MOCEQxnYEX4dhn4GN4gQ9KHV6BN/HrmNt+xtrLuqDVCgUFWSHAcGuOwZvWtafok5RW4F52Am6CoW8KLSGgII2MDVmxb48Sa3jmPkaj6MnrcCBf0st9TCYtlAijrLRPX1QGcZO2qqEdpDK8sa0GlCOKekZblyWB7vJIOtS7FADatzDwz8TMsxoS4WiyVqKBtj1DRXqyAXJLccN6GGvazfJP/JUFqmewlDTcNr2pj8bqUTTcS40vONQryOX53x/QCuh8hIijrk+l97BLU8x7/joVB3LL2lWxD2PO2DDc13LQv1bZGnr7TJ6HXxRgagQu6M+zNrUmcidsqN38Eg3ekf51+0mWVmrX9DzC7rjRF3kxZt+W+wVYgEazUMDryT8B+buvhYm8xHTdgAnJcRrM1xnCBwO+m2/AQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Variable = _t, Value = _t, Variable1 = _t, Value1 = _t, Variable2 = _t, Value2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Variable", type text}, {"Value", type text}, {"Variable1", type text}, {"Value1", Int64.Type}, {"Variable2", type text}, {"Value2", type text}}),

colNames_ = Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),
    colNum_ = Table.ColumnCount(#"Changed Type"),
    auxList2_ = List.Transform(auxList_, each Table.RenameColumns(Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",List.Range(colNames_, _*2,2)),{{colNames_{_*2}, "Value"}, {colNames_{_*2+1}, "Variable"}})), 
in
    TFinal_

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB Seems like the original source of data already been replaced? If this is the case then I'm not able to do a for loop to loop through different stock right? Is there any way to maintain this line of code shown below) so that I can change the "FB" to a parameter and able to loop through different stocks?

Data0 = Source{0}[Data],

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors