Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hkusulja
Frequent Visitor

How to calculate new column, filter table, sort and select first

Hello,

I am using Power Query and got the response.

I need to create additional columns, so I can later create hierarchy.

My current table looks like this:

NoName
10000Assets
11000Bank accounts
11001Bank 1

Bank 2

Equipment

Eq type 1

Liabilites

Accounts

Accounts payable domestic

So i need to create additional columns, please help with M languge / Power Query formula:

Level1Category = select text.start (1) , filter whole table, starting No with that text, sort by asc , select Name from first row

Level2Category = select text.start (2) , filter whole table, starting No with that text, sort by asc , select Name from first row

Example output shold be:

NoNameL1L2
10000AssetsAssetsAssets
11000Bank accountsAssetsBank Accounts
11001Bank 1AssetsBank Accounts

Bank 2

Assets

Bank accounts

Equipment

Assets

Equipment

Eq type 1

Assets

Equipment

Liabilites

Liabilites

Liabilites

Accounts

Liabilites

Accounts

Accounts payable domestic

Liabilites

Accounts

5 REPLIES 5
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test (later on when you use the query on your dataset, you will have to change the source appropriately. If you have columns other than these, then delete Changed type step and do a Changed type for complete table from UI again)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Tc4xDoMwDAXQq0SZGWrfoJW69QYogwkeLCCkihm4fSPcoHh8X1/f4+jhUc8P/lkKa/FhqARGL0qLoxj3I3UJtARuwkZohFf9/T0kb5y0IVzo9Mz8L6MNfYQmWUXZVhDso365GnTmMp00rezmfeOiEn0IPw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [No = _t, Name = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"No", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "L1", each if [Name]="Assets" or [Name]="Liabilites" then [Name] else null, type text),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"L1"}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filled Down", "L2", each if [Name]="Assets" or [Name]="Liabilites" then [Name] 
else if List.Contains({"Bank Accounts", "Equipment","Accounts"},[Name],Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) then [Name] else null, type text),
    #"Filled Down1" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom1",{"L2"})
in
    #"Filled Down1"

👍 It's been a pleasure to help you | Help Hours: 11 AM to 9 PM (UTC+05:30)

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Hello,

my table is much bigger, with lot of rows, i do not need to set static value like "assets" or "liabilites", instead it needs to be calculated, based on required formula that i provided. So it is not simple IF statement in M..

Good morning @hkusulja!

I think it is not so much a problem of M language, but of specifying in an auxiliary table a mapping of your accounts.
For example for this example table that you put would be the following:

100Assets

Bank Accounts

120Equipment

Liabilities

210Accounts

So if you extract the first digit on the left you could do an IF condition that tells you if it is Assets or Liabilities and if you extract the first 3 digits you could get your L2.

I hope this help you.

I need some clarification.

1. On what basis L1 is captured?  

2. On what basis L2 is captured?

Are these based on No column? If yes, what is the logic?

Hello logic for new / calculated formula is as follows:

Level1Category = select text.start (1) , filter whole same table where starting No is with that same text, sort by asc, select Name from first row

Level2Category = select text.start (2) , filter whole table, starting No with that text, sort by asc , select Name from first row

So selecting first (one or two characters), and find first (sorted-asc) Name which has the same first characters.

something like (not correct syntaxt, just indication)

Level1Category = (select value 'name', select first row (sorttable ( tablefilter (each row No starts with = firstcharacter of No)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors