Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to allow users to append data to a dataset in a PowerBI workspace?

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this kind of inquiry so please redirect me if you know where I may find better answers.

Bascially, I have a dataset which is compiled of current project history data but I need a way to allows users in my organization to append new project data as it becomes available through .CSV files. These files will all be using a standard table so appending them shouldn't pose any issues.

I am hoping to avoid users having to come back to me anytime they want something added and instead allow them to do so by dropping the new .CSV somewhere and then that new data becomes appended to the existing datasource.

My question is: what is the best way to go about this? Can this be done with a PowerBI app? Report? I looked into APIs but they seem to be beyond my knowledge level if I am being honest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous as your file will be having same structure please follow

Import data from a folder with multiple files (Power Query) - Excel (microsoft.com)

Combine multiple Excel files using Power Query [Full example + download] » Power Query Case Studies (chandoo.org)

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on my knowledge, appending data to an existing dataset on service is not possible (or at least I didn't find such cases). An alternative option is to download the report from service and open it with Power BI Desktop. Then launch Power Query Editor and add a new query to bring in new data.

It is suggested to create a folder to hold the csv files to be appended. A local folder or a Sharepoint folder are both supported. With these connectors, all csv files are combined into a query. Then you can append this query to the old query in your report. 

After combining all data into a table, republish this report into the workspace. Next time when new csv files added into the folder, refresh the dataset in the service to import new data. You only need to manage the files in the folder.

Official docs:

Combine CSV files in Power Query | Microsoft Docs

Append queries | Microsoft Docs

Power Query SharePoint Folder connector | Microsoft Docs (also work for files hosted on OneDrive for Business)

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous as your file will be having same structure please follow

Import data from a folder with multiple files (Power Query) - Excel (microsoft.com)

Combine multiple Excel files using Power Query [Full example + download] » Power Query Case Studies (chandoo.org)

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! This is just the level of user-friendliness I was looking for. Now users can just drop new files (with same format) into the sharepoint folder.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors