Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dujos
Helper I
Helper I

How many datasources can i create on Power Query

Hello guys! We are working on a project containing a lot of Oracle databases different schemas so i would like to know how many datasources can i create on the same report is there a limit for that.

For example: clicking on Get Data or New Source(Power Query) selecting Oracle database and then obtain the first table after that again clicking on Get Data or New Source(Power Query) selecting Oracle database (another schema) and then obtain the secound table after that and so on...

So, how many times can i do that or how many datasouces can i add on this same report? what is the maximun amount?

and taking advantage in this question: Will the Power BI gateway accept so many datasources to be refreshes on power bi service? How many datasources? Is there a limit?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@dujos Correct, there is no published limit. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

There is no published limit. You are not going to hit any issues with 20 tables. If you are going to run 200-500 tables, then you may start to see real performance degredation, but Power Query is not going to throw up an alert and say "You cannot add anymore data sources"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
edhans
Super User
Super User

I know of no practical limit. You also have to define what is a data source. If you mean Server and Database, then that is all the gateway uses. You can connect to 50 tables in Power BI from that same Server/Database combo. For Power BI that may be 50 data sources/tables (though I'd hope you merge them down to a useful Star Schema) but from the service standpoint, it is 1 data source and gateway connection because you don't define tables in the service, just servers and databases.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hello @edhans thank you for your answer. You are right maybe doing that its not practical but i would like to know if there is a limit if there is not a limit so ok thank you!!!!

There is no published limit. You are not going to hit any issues with 20 tables. If you are going to run 200-500 tables, then you may start to see real performance degredation, but Power Query is not going to throw up an alert and say "You cannot add anymore data sources"

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@dujos I have never seen a published hard limit to the number of queries or data sources that can be present in a PBIX file.

Latest book!:

Hey hello @Greg_Deckler  thank you for answer. and Yes maybe there is not an existent situation like that but for example there is an area on my job that is already using about 20 different connections resulting on 20 tables but as i'm thinking this is not practical so i will try to help the area showing that its possible continuing like that there is no limit (if i understood well) but it is no practical. Is that right?

@dujos Correct, there is no published limit. 

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors