Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IPGeorgiev
Helper III
Helper III

How does Power Query updates data?

Hi all,

I have the following question I will try to explain with a simple example :

1. Data source is Microsoft Exchange - looking for an emails with a specific subject and taking the attachment as data.

On daily basis I receive a report for the last 14 days so this report has a lot of columns, one of them is Date and the other one is Case ID.

So basically everyday the new report has overlapping with the report from the previous day for 13 out of 14 days data. However although the column case id and data will remain the same the other columns will adjust their values over time.

So if on the 2nd of February the value of a Case ID called JJJ - for column called length was 10 in the report on the 3rd of February we will have the same Case ID called JJJ but the value for column length would be 12.

So I want to always have the newest value for a given case id for all other columns.
Is this possible in Power BI?

Many thanks in advance!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

many thanks for the response!

I have actually tried another approach  - where I have selected the columns which will always be the same ( I mean in the new raw data their value wont change) and having all those selected columns Right click and Remove duplicated - this seems to be doing the job just fine for now 🙂

Best regards,

Ivan 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @IPGeorgiev ,

Despite the validity of what @MattAllington suggested for detaching and storing reports using MS Flow, I guess mentioning MS Exchange in your post to me looks a bit remote to the problem you have. This relates to the file/data that you receive, not to sourcing it from Exchange server, right?

In the file, the problem is not that some data change over time, as this is surely controlled from somewhere else and not impacted by PBI, You need somehow update these "new" data against some global table/storage so that it would contain the most recent version of the data in the columns that have changed? Kind of incremental data update?

If my understanding correct, you can use Table.NestedJoin (i.e.. merge tables) to get the set of data for Date / CaseId combinations in the old/stored data that also present in the new/14 day data in the file. Remove the identified data from the main table/storage and then append new data from the file.

Hope this helps, otherwise, you may need to further explain your case :).

Kind regards,

JB

Hi,

many thanks for the response!

I have actually tried another approach  - where I have selected the columns which will always be the same ( I mean in the new raw data their value wont change) and having all those selected columns Right click and Remove duplicated - this seems to be doing the job just fine for now 🙂

Best regards,

Ivan 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Ivan

Do you mind marking your post as a solution to close the topic?

Thanks.
John

Have you considered Power Flow as the tool here?  You can get flow to wait for the email, detach the file and then trigger the refresh of Power BI

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors