Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I restructure binary values into columns?

I have the following data:

Table 1Table 1

How do I use Power Query to 'pivot' the data (without summarizing, though) to end up with both values of 'Sector' as columns (so, Energy and Water) and '# households impacted' as values, like the following:

PowQuery1.gif

Have tried many combinations to no avail.

Please help.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello!  You will need to either have a unique identifier already in the table, or add an index column.  Then you can select the utilities column and unpivot without summarizing the data.

BEFORE

jennratten_0-1647934143192.png

AFTER

jennratten_1-1647934165874.png

SCRIPT

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcsopTVXSUTJVitWBc0zAnKDUFCDbCFnCAkkCRYc5koSxUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Color = _t, Count = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Count", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Index", List.Distinct(#"Added Index"[Color]), "Color", "Count")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello!  You will need to either have a unique identifier already in the table, or add an index column.  Then you can select the utilities column and unpivot without summarizing the data.

BEFORE

jennratten_0-1647934143192.png

AFTER

jennratten_1-1647934165874.png

SCRIPT

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcsopTVXSUTJVitWBc0zAnKDUFCDbCFnCAkkCRYc5koSxUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Color = _t, Count = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Count", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Index", List.Distinct(#"Added Index"[Color]), "Color", "Count")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Following is M-code

Solution Excel is uploaded to https://1drv.ms/x/s!Akd5y6ruJhvhuTdyS-bbcrf3KL0Z?e=fSISO0 

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"Entities", "Incident", "Resolution period (in days)", "Severity of incident"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Divided Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each _ / 2, type number}}),
    #"Rounded Down" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Divided Column",{{"Index", Number.RoundDown, Int64.Type}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Rounded Down", List.Distinct(#"Rounded Down"[Sector]), "Sector", "# households impacted"),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns1"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors