Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jseek
Helper I
Helper I

How do I connect a dashboard to a dataset?

I have loaded a powerpivot model into the powerbi.com interface.  This automatically created a dashboard, but I would like to create a secondary dashboard.  Creating a dashboard is fine, but there does not seem to be an interface that allows me to connect it to a dataset and then begin creating tiles.  How is this done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jseek,

You can create a new dashboard by clicking on the + indicator next to the Dashboard under workspace (highlighted red here)

Capture.JPG

Then, when you are in the report section, you can "pin" a visual to the dashboard. You so this by hovering over any report visual and clicking the pin icon that shows in the upper right of the visual.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mrvachon
Regular Visitor

Dashboards are just a collection of report visualizations, sp to create a secondary dashboard you should be able to create reports from your dataset and pin the charts to the new dashboard. (just create an empty dashboard first like eno1978 describes)

jseek,

You can create a new dashboard by clicking on the + indicator next to the Dashboard under workspace (highlighted red here)

Capture.JPG

Then, when you are in the report section, you can "pin" a visual to the dashboard. You so this by hovering over any report visual and clicking the pin icon that shows in the upper right of the visual.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you.  This makes sense.  Not entirely intuitive but with your explanation its easy.

I'm not sure I follow. How do I associate a visualization with a specific dashboard again? It appears that pinning a visualization always associates it with the last dashboard created. What's needed is UI to allow me to associate a visualization with a specific dashboard.

Not the last dashboard created but the last dashboard active..Meaning if you are in i.e "Dashboard Sales" then choose the report and pin the graph, the tile  will be created in "Dashboard Sales". Now if you want the same graph to be pinned in another dashboard choose the dashboard i.e. :Dashboard Marketing" & then the report to pin a graph..

To see which dashboard is active click the "Power BI" text on your upper left corner & will link you to the active dashboard..from anywhere..

Hope it helps

Konstantinos Ioannou

@teolachev

You need to click on the dashboard that you want to pin the visualizaiton to. Then go to the report that you want to pull it from and pin the visual and it will pin to the last dashboard you viewed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors