Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I add a Salesforce Connection as a data source in corporate gateway?

So I have various reports that pull from Salesforce objects. It works great and I'm able to have Power BI refresh on a regular basis through my personal gateway. 

I'm trying to migrate all of my data sources to the corporate gateway, which I understand I need to duplicate my data sources on, which is fine. I'm starting that process now, but I'm unable to find a way to add a Salesforce data source when I'm managing the corporate gateway online. 

I only see these sources:

datasource.png

Is there something I'm overlooking? 

Thanks!

Jonathan 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on  your description, when you combine on-premises data source and Salesforce data source in a dataset, you are not able to use on-premises gateway to set refresh for the dataset, right? If that is the case, the issue is caused by that on-premises gateway doesn’t work with online data sources, this is a known issue  that has been submitted in the following link and the feature that using on-premises gateway to work with online data sources is under review, , please vote it.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13405644-combine-enterprise-gateway-and-online-data-sources

To work around the issue , please use the personal gateway to schedule refresh for your dataset when combining Salesforce data source and other on-premises data sources.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The Enterprise Gateway is for on-premises resources. Salesforce does not need to be added because it is a cloud-based source so it is updated with the "cloud gateway" (Power BI Service)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler

Thanks for the reply.

So I have two reports. They both have the same files as data sources, with the exception that Report B is connected to a Salesforce object. 

I've been able to switch Report A (without Salesforce) from my personal gateway to the corporate gateway, no problem. But I've been unable to switch Report B to the same, corporate gateway. The only difference is that I have the Salesforce data source in Report B. 

I don't even have the option to switching to the corporate gateway in Report B. 

If the Salesforce connection is "in the cloud" and I don't have to make a specific Salesforce Data Source within the Corporate Gateway itself, I'm stumped as to how I can switch it from my personal gateway to the corporate gateway when all of the other data sources exist.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler,

Interestingly enough when I modify the report to only include a Salesforce Object as a data source, I get a different Gateway option that says "Connect Directly". 

Now when I add another data source (that both my personal and corporate Gateway has access to), the Gateway options change to only show my personal gateway. I've tried an Excel file and SQL database connection as data sources (that have been able to connect to the corporate gateway before), and I still only have the personal gateway as an option.

It seems as though I cannot have both a Salesforce data source and any other data source, in order for the Corporate Gateway, to be an option which just boggles the mind. 

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on  your description, when you combine on-premises data source and Salesforce data source in a dataset, you are not able to use on-premises gateway to set refresh for the dataset, right? If that is the case, the issue is caused by that on-premises gateway doesn’t work with online data sources, this is a known issue  that has been submitted in the following link and the feature that using on-premises gateway to work with online data sources is under review, , please vote it.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13405644-combine-enterprise-gateway-and-online-data-sources

To work around the issue , please use the personal gateway to schedule refresh for your dataset when combining Salesforce data source and other on-premises data sources.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see that this suggestion has been marked as finished. However, my connection to salesforce cannot be added to the enterprise gateway as below

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft,

Very good. Thanks for the head's up. I've gone ahead and voted for that feature.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors