Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PrestaPower
Frequent Visitor

Hosting alternative for both reports and gateway

Hi all,

So to sum up my situation, i'm currently creating reports on power bi using SQL Data as well as some external files like excel files. I also use a gateway to acces all files used in each reports. But the gateway is hosted locally on my laptop. 

On the long run, i would like to host both the reports and the gateway online. I was maybe thinking about azure where i found the power bi embeded option, but it does not seem a good solution so far. 

My other idea was to host every thing on a Virtual Machine, but not the sexiest solution. 

So yeah if you have any hints on how to avoid hosting locally on a laptop that's not always on 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @PrestaPower ,

Actually, we do not recommend installing the gateway on my laptop locally.

This official document suggests us install on a computer that is always on. 

For your requirement, I recommend that you install the gateway on a server in the same domain as the device your need refresh the dataset in power bi service and that this server is always on.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @PrestaPower ,

Actually, we do not recommend installing the gateway on my laptop locally.

This official document suggests us install on a computer that is always on. 

For your requirement, I recommend that you install the gateway on a server in the same domain as the device your need refresh the dataset in power bi service and that this server is always on.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors