Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cboake
Frequent Visitor

Help with this JSON

Hi all,

I'm hoping to expand some json into a table but because of the way the json is structured, the values I need end up as column headers instead of row values. Has anyone run into this before?

Example of json input:

2019-12-30_15h45_48.png

What happens in PowerBI:

1.png

2.png

Desired end state of query should result in a table like this:

nirvana.png

Additionally, if I expand the "50" column then the "50" is wiped out by the next record "101" which is in turn wiped out by "140" etc down the line. Renaming the expanded column doesn't help. Power Query:

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("APIurl")),
data = Source[data],
attendance = data[attendance],
#"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(attendance),
#"Expanded Value" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Value", {"50"}, {"50"}),
#"Expanded 50" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Value", "50", {"101"}, {"101"}),
#"Expanded 101" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded 50", "101", {"140"}, {"140"})
in
#"Expanded 101"

Does anyone know a way to achieve this? Is this just bad json?

Thank you,
UIT

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @cboake

were you able to solve the problem with any reply given?

If so, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

All the best

Jimmy

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello

To me it seems that this json has all nested objects with the real data only after 4th level. Don't know what this ids are doing there.
You could try this function to extract all data https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/06/17/automatically-expand-all-fields-from-a-json-document-in-po...

Hope this helps

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors