Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hkpowerbi
Regular Visitor

Help with data connectivity

Wondering if you guys can help answer a Power BI question I have.

Long story short, I built a Power BI report that uses a data connectivity mode of ‘Import’ from a SQL Server database. The users have all been granted access to a group allowing them to view the necessary source tables. When I publish the report, they can see it and export as necessary, however, they cannot refresh the data through the ‘web’ toolbar.

Do I need a gateway for this, or am I missing something? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This link will be help full in how to redirect your data source thru gateway.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hkpowerbi
Regular Visitor

Anyone? I am kind of stuck...also, if I start a dashboard using PBI Desktop and connect to SQL Server, then is it possible to repoint the visualization (assuming tables/columns are like for like) to a gateway using the same SQL server instance?

If you are using on-prem SQL Server, you will need to use gateway.

Thank you. I understand the on-prem gateway now. However, if I already created a dashboard using on-prem SQL server without the gateway, is there a way to repoint it? Or do I have to start it from scratch?

This link will be help full in how to redirect your data source thru gateway.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors