Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help please -- SSL Provider error / certificate has expired

Hi,

I'm receiving the below error message (I've hidden the DataSourcePath which was just the server,port;dbname).

The datasource is an on-premises SQL Server database. To test the user access I use SSMS to connect to the database and run a couple of queries. All works fine.

I have successfully added the SQL Server database to the On-Premises Data Gateway. So all looks like the refresh should work.

Why do I get the below error message?  What is it actaully telling me?  Do I need to add some sort of software to the Server where the On-Premises Data Gateway is installed.

Thanks in advance.

SSL.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

We are having the same error on multiple different M365 Tenants. The connections are Sharepoint Online and Azure SQL connections. This is not only affecting one application. I see the health status on the microsoft Admin portal for Powerapps is healthy. 

Is anyone else having the same issue? This issue began on the 16/11/2023.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

The error message suggests that there's a problem with the encryption configuration on the SQL Server. It might be just what the message says – that the server is configured with a certificate that has now expired. Or, it might be a different problem.

1. Please edit the data source setting in Power BI Desktop and disable encryption to republish the report in order to avoid this problem.

w2.PNG

2. Update the on-premise data gateway to the latest version.

3. If issue still persists, please share on-premise data gateway service log files (C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\Gateway*.log) around the time error throws out with us. You can upload log files to your OneDrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We were having the same issues and we made changes to the desktop and its not throwing up it there. When we published it on cloud, while trying to refresh it there under personal and enterprise gateway, its throwing the same error. Whats workaround for it on cloud?

we had same issue,  we had a sql server certificate which expired and was not needed, 

powerbi was working using the default encryption option and stopped working after the cert expired, we republished

the powerbi dataset using unencrypted connection but gateway still tries to look for the certificate on this server

below is the snippet of log, 

we applied latest patch to gateway, 

restart gateway service 

recreated the powerbi data source , thinking it might be cached, 

still its looking for the certifcate that is expired and no longer on the server

-ba2c-fd7c1e21ae61 8AA61592 [DM.Pipeline.Diagnostics] Exception data: DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode = <pi>-2147467259</pi>
DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2019-02-23T02:40:31.0335409Z DM.EnterpriseGateway c6ed21b5-4db9-4cfb-adef-61f003a642d1 591a386d-db71-3b57-2621-f9eb069c807c MGCC 80c5f97e-414d-4a9a-ba2c-fd7c1e21ae61 4331972A [DM.Pipeline.Diagnostics] Exception data: DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage = <pi><pi>Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The received certificate has expired.)</pi></pi>

I also had this problem. My workaround was to create an ODBC SQL connection instead; not ideal. It meant reconfiguring the Power BI model, but at least everything is refreshing again.

In my situation the expired SSL certificate had been removed (as the other connections were working), but the PowerBI gateway connection was still stating the error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having someone just contribute to this post has prompted me to state the fix for my instance of the issue. In short, it was the SSL Certificate that had expired against the SQL Server. It took the DBA a while to suss what the problem was but once the SSL Certificate was renewed all was fine again (if my memory is correct).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors