Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Help on Date Format conversion

I have 2 Excel files with a Source that has this Column 'Date' (see below) in my 1 Excel it converts fine but in the other it converts it to Month as Date and Date as month see other image below.

ovetteabejuela_0-1619101038653.png

This should be March 1, April 1, May 1 and not January 3, 4, 5 ...

ovetteabejuela_1-1619101153223.png

9 REPLIES 9
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Have you tried Table.AddColumn(Date.FromText([DATE]))

Date.FromText, instead of ToText?

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ovetteabejuela 

Date
8/1/2021
9/1/2021
10/1/2021

With the above sample date column in excel, I get the correct date with either excel connector and enter date feature in Power Query. I cannot reproduce the 1/4/2021 format in the PQ, that turns the April 1st to Jan 4th. 

V-pazhen-msft_0-1619489019758.png

V-pazhen-msft_1-1619489091159.png

Please try with Power Query in power bi desktop. This problem could be the Excel Power Query.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ovetteabejuela 

What is the date format in the original excel file, are both date columns are the same data type and format? Can you show a screen short.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

In Excel this is in General Type, and it is basically of type Text

Actual Source Screenshot:

ovetteabejuela_5-1619450925582.png

Below, I am showing you how it is translated within Excel environment  and into Power Query.

ovetteabejuela_4-1619450876801.png

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You need to convert the Date Column to Date format before doing Date.ToText. Right now it looks like you are performing a Date Operation on a text column. 
--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Actually that is the very first thing that anyone will do even the system will automatically convert your data after you promote to Headers BUT converting this to date will yeild the same result that is why what your seeing are non-convetional approach.

Converting immediately (as usual) to date will result to January 3, January 4, January 5..... instead of March 1, April 1 and May 1

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

By the way I already tried using Locale but it too doesn't work my currect solution is not advisable because if the source will change it's format it will not work... Basically I split this by delimeter and added a custom column with this syntax #date() - this worked but again it's not flexible.

I just can't understand why it worked in another Excel (this was older but the same source) and did not work in my version today.

@ovetteabejuela , you may want to try,

Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Date.ToText(Date.From([Date]), "MMMM d, yyyy"))

Screenshot 2021-04-22 173208.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Unfortunately...

ovetteabejuela_0-1619191943513.png

and my Regional settings is fine:

ovetteabejuela_1-1619192006114.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors