Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Arjun

Help needed on refresh of Datasets automatically

Requirement :

• We need to talk to Power BI web portals via REST Apis and get the dashboard and tile details and embed into our web application.
  • We have our own set of Users to our web application and we have created one User in Azure AD and that user account will be used to sign in to Power BI Web Portal for all our Users.
  • To make the reports available in web portal, We create few reports using Power BI Desktop by connecting to On-Premise Database and published the report to web portal against the signed in User.
  • In order to refresh the Dataset tables, we need to install Power BI Personal Gateway, then we need to sign in to PowerBI web portal during installation. Then once we login to Power BI Web, we can configure the “Schedule Refresh” option against the dataset to automatically refresh the data.

Questions/ clarifications required:

• If we have another Azure AD account to sign in to Power BI Web Portal and if we create another set of reports against him. I don’t think we can use existing Power BI Personal gateway to refresh the data automatically. Please let us know do we need to install one more Power BI Gateway instance for every signed in User ?
  • Also if we push any new dataset or Tables from my web application to Power BI Web Portal using REST Apis, I don’t think we can configure “Schedule Refresh” using the Power BI Gateway. Then do we need to take care of refreshing the data by ourselves ? As per our understanding, gateway refreshes only those datasets which are pushed from Power BI Desktop. Can you please help us on our understanding ?
3 REPLIES 3
JasonDunbar
Resolver I
Resolver I

@Arjun wrote:

Questions/ clarifications required:

• If we have another Azure AD account to sign in to Power BI Web Portal and if we create another set of reports against him. I don’t think we can use existing Power BI Personal gateway to refresh the data automatically. Please let us know do we need to install one more Power BI Gateway instance for every signed in User ?
  • Also if we push any new dataset or Tables from my web application to Power BI Web Portal using REST Apis, I don’t think we can configure “Schedule Refresh” using the Power BI Gateway. Then do we need to take care of refreshing the data by ourselves ? As per our understanding, gateway refreshes only those datasets which are pushed from Power BI Desktop. Can you please help us on our understanding ?

For your first point, I do think you'd need another computer somewhere with an installation of the Personal Gateway - key is in the name, 'Personal' gateway 🙂

Though I do wonder, what's your reason for wanting to map many users (I assume on premise) to only one user in Azure AD? When the time comes to embed tiles into your Web App, both the Web App and the user will need to authenticate against Azure AD and ultimately Power BI - you'd either need a clever way of getting the OAuth token for that user each time a user visited a page with an embedded tile (mapping on premis users to the Azure AD user) or you'd need to give all your users the credentials to your Azure AD user. With the latter option being by far the easiest to implement.

Tell us a little more about your current architecture and the end-to-end data flow. I can't help but think there's a better way to do this...

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply.

We already have ASP.Net MVC multi tenant web application which is using different schema for their client specific data.

New requirement for the application.

1) User should be able to see the dashboard details in our application from Power BI web app

Our Approach:

1) Planning to have one Azure AD user account for one client and same account will be used for authenticating all the exisitng users with in the client

2) Using PowerBI desktop applicaiton, client specific admin will create the dataset from on premise database(can create reports) and publish to Azure againest the client specific Azure AD account.Using the personal gateway we are refreshing the data at regular intervals.

3) As per the existing application client specific Admin can create new table as and when required for client specific schema and add data to it

4) When ever there is new table creation happens from the admin, admin will update the dataset to include the new table and re publish it again using power bi desktop applicaiton.

Here we are asking the client admin to refresh the dataset by logging into power bi desktop application manually whenever there is new tables included.

Questions:

In order to avoid manual intervention of Admin pushing the new dataset to Azure, we thought of pushing the data using Rest API, but we are unable to refresh the data using personal gateway for dataset which are pushed via rest Api.

Is there any way we can configure the personal gateway to refresh the data automatically without manual process.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply.

We already have ASP.Net MVC multi tenant web applicaiton which is using different schema for their client specific data.

New requirement for the application.

1) User should be able to see the dashboard details in our application from Power BI web app

Our Approach:

1) Planning to have one Azure AD user account for one client and same account will be used for authenticating all the exisitng users with in the client

2) Using PowerBI desktop application, client specific admin will create the dataset from on premise database(can create reports) and publish to Azure against the client specific Azure AD account.Using the personal gateway we are refreshing the data at regular intervals.

3) As per the existing application, client specific Admin can create new table as and when required for client specific schema and add data to it

4) When ever there is new table creation happens from the admin, admin will update the dataset to include the new table and re publish it again using power bi desktop applicaiton.

Here we are asking the client admin to refresh the dataset by logging into power bi desktop application manually whenever there is new tables included.

Questions:

In order to avoid manual intervention of Admin pushing the new dataset to Azure, we thought of pushing the data using Rest API, but we are unable to refresh the data using personal gateway for dataset which are pushed via rest Api.

Is there any way we can configure the personal gateway to refresh the data automatically without manual process.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors